Emily & the Reindeer Sweater

(Jamie's First Christmas)

I sat down next to Parker on the couch, reaching over to run my fingers down his tense shoulders.

"Jamie is down," I said. "And we need to talk about tomorrow."

Parker didn't even spare me a glance, his face focused on the game he was broadcasting to the TV.

The Orlando City game in which he'd been benched.

I reached over and paused the footage.

"Not now, Emily," he said, his voice gruff.

"You've been watching this footage since you came home this morning," I said. "You can't keep doing this to yourself."

He ignored me, as I knew he would.

"We need to talk about tomorrow," I reminded him. "The photographer is going to meet us at the gardens at 9 AM."

"Fine."

This conversation wasn't going to plan. "Can I have two minutes of your attention?"

He angled himself toward me, raising an eyebrow. "You have my undivided attention. What do you need?"

Not exactly inviting but I'd have to work with it.

"This is Jamie's first Christmas," I said.

"I'm aware of how old our daughter is."

I placed a hand on his knee. "I'm not attacking you, Parker. I'm just trying to have a conversation."

"I'm not defensive."

I wasn't in an arguing mood. "Did you see the sweater on the bed?"

He nodded. "I agreed to wear the stupid, reindeer sweater."

I couldn't help but smile. "They're matching, Parker."

A smile played on his lips. "I'd only do this for you."

I leaned in and planted a soft kiss on his cheek. "Thank you."

I could feel him physically relax beneath my touch.

"So what do we need to discuss?" Parker asked.

I offered up a smile, to which Parker sighed. "You already asked me to wear the matching sweaters," he said. "I'm not budging any further."

"Just one more thing."

He shook his head before I'd finished. "No."

"You don't even know what it is yet."

"And I don't want to, because I'm not doing it."

Of all days for my husband to be in a sour mood, it had be tonight.

I made the risky decision to continue, despite his negative reaction. "I bought us accessories to go with the sweaters."

He pretended not to hear me.

"They're really cute," I said, with a smile.

"No."

Stubborn asshole. "Would you at least look at what I'm referring to before you make up your mind?"

Parker stood up, shooting me a glare. "I already said no. And I'll continue to say it until you drop it."

"I think it's fair for me to ask you to at least look at what I'm referring to," I said.

I wasn't asking for him to commit, just asking for him to look at the accessories. And then if he said no, I'd understand.

But he can't just dismiss me off-hand.