Chapter 12

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Gypsy - Shakira
I never made agreements
Just like a gypsy
And I won't back down
'Cause life's already bit me

Cowboy Casanova - Carrie Underwood
He looks like
A cool drink of water
But he's candy coated misery

Killing Me Softly - Colbie Callait
I prayed that he would finish
But he just kept right on
Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song

***

I don't end up buying Alice.

Not that I didn't have every intention to do so.

After it was decided that Alice wasn't going to be euthanized and doesn't need surgery, Tyler's mom pulls me aside while the men attempt to get Alice back to her stall (despite the fact that I repeatedly assured them I could handle her.)

"Grace, that was very noble of you back there," she starts as we're walking our rides back to the barn.

I glance over at Galileo, who I've decided is the most nonchalant horse ever.

"What do you mean?"

"The fact that you put yourself on the line for that horse," she says. "I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tempting to sell her to you."

"But you're not going to," I say cautiously, stating the implication of her sentence. "Why?"

"Let's just say I have a hunch about you," she says bluntly, leaving me with more questions than answers.

I sigh. "Mrs. Waters, I get it. I'm a bad influence, and you don't want me around your son. But, please-"

"Please, call me Marilyn. And Grace, that's not what I meant," she chuckles. "I'm sure you're a lovely girl, and I have no problem with you being around. But I won't sell you Alice. Partly because I'd like to see how this plays out, but also- you see, my father spoke very highly of the mare. I'd like to keep her close by."

"I'm sorry," I say after a beat of silence. "Were you close?"

She smiles fondly. "Very. I was an only child. Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved my mom up till the day she died. But I was always a Daddy's Girl."

"It must have been hard for you. I'm so sorry."

"Stop apologizing. It was nobody's fault. It was just his time," she says wryly. "But he is gone, and now all of this-" she gestures around the property. "-is my responsibility."

"Alice-"

"I won't sell her to you," she reiterates. "However, she has not willingly let anyone near her since my father died. Until tonight."

With a sense of déjà vu, I shake my head. "She was injured and scared-"

"You said yourself that animals normally lash out when they're scared. But she didn't. At least, not with you," she laughs, sparing a glance towards Levi, Tyler, and Paul, who are all struggling with the mare. "In any case, I'd like it if you came by and spent some time with her. I'm not sure if Tyler told you that she was a big show jumper-"

"He did. I'm more than happy to come and work with her any way I can, but I don't think I'll be much help there. I spent my summer on a ranch in Virginia, but that's the extent of my horse experience."