Aurora Borealis (fiction)

For as long as Mason could remember, he always loved the night. This was the time that everything came alive, especially the sky. Mason charted constellations and knew what nights the Northern Lights would make their spectacular appearance. One night, the Northern Lights were particularly beautiful. They painted the starry velvet sky in brilliant green, white, and purple. Mason watched in awe as they danced across the sparkling expanse as far as he could see. He barely noticed his grandfather as he sat next to him.

"Grandpa?" Mason asked, his neck craned toward the sky.

"Yes?"

"How do the Northern Lights form?" The question had itched the back of his mind for days now, Mason was sure his grandfather could tell him.

"Well, remember your grandma?"

"Yes, she baked so many cookies I got tummy aches every time I visited." Mason recalled with a laugh.

"She's up there, Mason. She's up there with all of our ancestors dancing for us. That's how come there's Northern Lights. The spirits of those who have died go up to heaven, and, on some nights, God tells them to dance in bright colors for those who watch."

"But every time they dance, it's always super cold, even if it is clear." Mason stated, hugging his arms around his chest with a slight shiver.

"That's because they don't just dance for anyone. If you are willing to come outside in the cold to watch them, you are worth dancing for."

"Thanks for dancing for us!" Mason smiled at the sky. His grandfather chuckled.

"Yes, thanks for dancing." He agreed. They stayed out much later that night, watching their ancestors perform just for them.