Chapter 14: Sneaking around

***I do not own any of the Marvel Characters that I use in my story. I hope you enjoy this. I have an IMPORTANT question at the end. Enjoy :)***

(Alexis P.O.V)

It had been a few hours since I had run from Pepper and Natasha. I had asked JARVIS not to tell the others where I was, and despite much protesting, he had agreed but only once he was allowed to say to the ones who asked about me that I was alright. I had run to Tony's workshop where I hid in the far corner behind a pile of metal junk. My thoughts were racing a million miles an hour as I stare at my arc reactor in my hands. The pale blue glow calming me as it pulses softly.

No one could know that I was running from my father. Everyone I had ever told never believed me so why would the Avengers when the proof was all gone? My father had always put on a front in public whenever we were forced to go out together. He was the kind, doting father until he closed the door behind us after the day. The pain he caused wasn't always physical as well. He seemed to love to cause me mental harm. Making me doubt myself, hate myself, blame myself. It appeared to be his favourite past time.

Heavy, rushed footsteps interrupt my thoughts. Covering the are reactor's glow with my hand, I listen as the steps enter the workshop. As I was cowering further into the shadows, my foot bumps a screw loose from the pile. I watch as it hits the ground. The clatter echoes around the room causing the footsteps stop, and a voice calls out.

"Alexis?" It's Tony. The footsteps start again, getting louder.

"Alexis, where are you?" He calls out. His voice was a lot closer to my hiding spot. Holding my breath, my mind races as I think if I wanted to be found or not. I didn't want to be alone anymore, but I didn't want anyone to question me about my family anymore. I didn't want to were back there.

"There you are, Shortcake. Are you alright?" Tony asks startling me from my thoughts. I look up and see him standing in front of me.

"Hi Tony," I mumble, looking back down at my hands which were hiding the arc reactor.

"Pepper and Nat are worried about you." He tells me, crouching down. He looks at me and sighs. "Why did you hide?" He asks softly.

I shrug, refusing to meet his gaze. Tony waits for a minute or two before gently saying, "Alright, you don't have to tell me now. Please know that you can trust me though. I have seen a lot of things in my years so nothing much can scare me now."

I nod, not using my voice. Afraid I would blurt everything out if I did. I was already the homeless kid. I didn't want to be the abused, runaway kid. I didn't want even more of their pity.
Tony places a hand on my knee and pats it gently. "Well, you come out when you are ready. I'll get everyone to stop looking for you and tell them not to ask questions. Alright, Shortcake?" He says softly.

Taking a deep breath, I nod and whisper "Alright."

He moves his hand from my knee to my clasped hands that held the reactor.  Encompassing my hands in his, he says, "Remember my promise, Shortcake. I'm always here for you."

I nod and give him a small smile. Patting my knee one last time, he stands up and groans. As he walks away, he mutters under his breath about getting old. I giggle as he walks away, his footsteps fading. Silence surrounds me once again. Opening my hands, I watch the arc reactor pulse gently and hum softly. The colour was so serene and calming, just like the memory of building it.

Since I was alone, I stood up and walked over to the bench where Tony and I made the reactor. It was my favourite memory. So much fun and laughter. It wasn't only the fun and laughter that I loved though. It was the fact that he didn't look at me like I was some kind of freak like other people did when they saw me reading science books or drawing up designs. He looked at me like I was special and he let me help with the making of the arc reactor. Most people just scoffed at me and told me to run along so they could concentrate. No one had ever let me help make something important before. 

I smile at the bench as the memory passes through my mind before my stomach decides to remind me that I had missed lunch. I didn't want to talk to anyone yet, but hungry wasn't a feeling that I liked despite being used it.  Slipping my arc reactor into my pocket, I slowly walk to the elevator and press the button for it. I hide behind a bench as I watch the door open. No one was inside, so I quickly scamper in and push the level I wanted.

The doors for the elevator open and I peer out cautiously before sneaking toward the lounge area where the food was. My stomach let out another growl. Opening the lounge door, I slip in and shut it quietly. I creep across the room. My footsteps making no sound. I was almost in the kitchen when a silky voice startles me.

"What are you attempting to do, child?"

I whirl around and almost fall over in fright and fear. It was Loki. The supposed-god that attempted to take over the world with the alien race. I let out an involuntary whimper of fear.

"Please calm yourself, child. I am not going to attempt to cause your body any harm."

I stare at him before finding my voice and quietly asking "What about mental harm?" My voice collected. I didn't want to show anymore fear in front of him.

He bows his head and walks closer to me while saying "Child, I promise you I will not harm you in any way. For if I did, I would go back to rotting in Asgard dungeons which, I assure you, I do not want to do."

I take a step backwards when he advances towards me. I watch him cautiously as he stops a few steps from me. I look at him before my stomach decides to remind me that I haven't eaten lunch. Turning away from Loki, who was still watching me, I walked into the kitchen in search of food. I stop when I see Bruce. He turns around with a mug in his hand and smiles at me. He leans against the bench and smiles warmly at me. 

"Hello there," He says

"Hi," I reply. I fidget on the spot, not sure whether to run or not.

"You can come in and find something to eat. Tony normally has whatever you could ever want," Bruce says while gesturing with his hand. I walk in slowly and grab an apple off the bench.

"You are allowed more," Bruce smiles.

"Not that hungry," I mumble. My stomach instantly betrays me by grumbling.

Bruce chuckles, "Seems your stomach disagrees with you,"

I feel my cheeks start to burn as I take a bite of my apple. Bruce places his mug on the bench and walks over to a cupboard and opens it. He pulls out a packet of chips and muesli bar. He holds them out to me. I take them slowly and mumble "Thank you."

He smiles and returns to his coffee. I hop up onto a stool and eat. We both eat (or drink in Bruce's case) quietly. Neither of us disrupts the silence. We finish almost at the same time, I go to get down and walk away, but Bruce's voice stops me. 

"If you want to come to the lab and hang out you can. I doubt anyone would think you're there with me." Bruce says as he puts his mug in the dishwasher and turns to face me, crossing his arms. I think about his offer. 'It does sound like fun.'

"Al...alright," I say softly, getting down off the stool. 

"Just follow me, " He smiles.

***IMPORTANT!!!!!! - Should I bring Bucky into it? I think it would be cool. What's your opinion? Please tell me if I should. Hope you enjoyed the chapter :)***