Chapter Five- Araluen

Chapter Five

Araluen

THE PLEASURE OF knowing that I had singlehandedly pulled my beloved province out of debt by arranging a perfect marriage between my father and a billionaire lasted for the period where my new stepfamily moved into our house. The ceremony had all gone according to plan and had been remarked on with admiration for days after, where the Greenwich family, now the Greenwich-Winchester family, left to attend to the moving of their belongings to another province. During this time, I was able to collect the taxes of the citizens quickly and efficiently, without any issues occurring, and train a new (and far more competent) secretary. Life was looking perfect.

But then they arrived again with four carriages full of things in tow.

I stood on the steps to our castle, overseeing that everything ended up in its rightful place. Lady Calligenia would be staying in the mistress' quarters next to my father while her daughters would join in me in the family wing. The afore mentioned stepsisters of mine were lounging in one of the bigger sitting rooms once I had finished organising their new residence in my home. They didn't bother looking up from the leather bound book in sitting between them when I entered. From what they were eagerly conversing on, it seemed that they were planning their dresses for the Crown Prince's birthday ball.

'You simply cannot wear red, Dora, it will clash terribly with your hair! Green would be much better-'

'But they say that red is Crown Prince Marius' favourite colour!'

'He will certainly not approach you to dance if you wear red, you will look like an apple, especially if you blush! No, I shall wear red, and you may wear green, which will complement you much better.'

'But Calliope, what if green is his least favourite colour? What shall I do then?'

I blinked in shock. I hadn't realised how much time had passed since my endeavour to marry father began- it was already late February, and the ball would be on the 15th of March! My distraction was a complete oversight, for now I only had twenty days to ensure that the whole family (which was now a party of five, not including maids and manservants) could travel to the capital and have a place to stay that would equal our stature, as well as make sure one of my trusted advisors could look after the dealings of the province in the time we were away. I quickly marched, unnoticed, out of the room and up to my office.

'Regulus,' I barked, 'I need you to quickly send word that the Lord Alpha Florian Winchester is looking for a temporary residence in the capital. If it is a hotel it must be five stars and no less than 10 kilometres from the palace. However, a private chateau would be much preferred if there are any left, and that can be no less than 30 kilometres from the palace. Are you writing this down?'

The man, who was pushing middle age, glanced up at me with a started expression before leaping for a notebook. 'Hotel. Five stars, 15-'

'10.'

'10 kilometres from the castle. Private chateau, preferred, 30 kilometres. Price range?'

'Money will not be an issue, but get the best deal you can for a four-night stay. We will arrive on the 13th of March and leave on the 17th. Four private rooms if we will use a hotel, with an interconnecting lounge area. Also, two rooms for the servants.'

'Yes, my Lady. Who shall I send this to?'

'Mr Hector Burnside is my father's most trusted colleague in the capital, send it to him and he will see that it is done in time.'