Chapter 24

***Eve POV***

"Now listen to me baby and listen to me well. You train people how to treat you! If somebody ain't treating you the way you believe that you outta be treated then guess what? You change it sweetheart. You can't just take whatever someone is dishing out and hope and believe that things will change. I raised you better then that sugar plum." My grandmother's raspy voice chastises in disproval over the phone.

"Yes ma'am." I croaked out with tears sliding down my face. She is right. She is always right.

"Now I know something more is going on over there then you are telling your nana, but I am going to drop the issue for now. The good lord has set it on my heart to give you a call this morning as soon as I woke up. And yes of course you and the kids can come and stay with me for a few days. You don't even have to bother asking me something as silly as that! My home is always open for my babies."

"T-thank you nana. Everything is....I just need to get away for awhile." I whispered brokenly into the phone. It's currently a little after six in the morning. In true form, my grandmother called me worried about some sort of bad feeling that she had waking up this morning. I needed to
hear her voice. This morning is defiantly not my morning. I woke up crying. Not just for a relationship that was destined to be destroyed from the beginning but for just life in general.

I cried for everything and everyone both in and out of my life. Then I got a call and broke down even more when I heard her lovely voice. She knows that Alex and I have "problems" but she don't know the details and personally I wish like hell I could just tell her everything...

We both go on to talk for a few more minutes. Mainly we caught up on local gossip from my home town and what we had planned for the rest of the day. By the time I hang up the phone, a smile plays on my lips. My grandmother always knew how to make my world right side up again. Taking a deep breath, I head out to the kids rooms. Checking the clock, I raise an eyebrow at the time. 7:39 am

They are usually up by now. I speed up my pace and my heart drops as I look into Olivia's empty crib. Oh God! Not again. Please again. Turning away from the empty crib, I stumble out into the hall holding my tight chest. Gasping for air, I fight down the panic as I turn Lucas' door knob and burst into the room.

A sob of relief leaves my lips as I see Alex sprawled out in the middle of the bed on his back with our children curled up on either side of him. Swiping away at my tears, I quietly step forward until I reached the side of the bed. Alex's longer strands that usually is gelled back is now ruffled from sleep and flopped over his eyes. Soft snores leaves his partially opened lips. His eye lids flutter quickly as he dreams. Why is he doing this? Popping up at all times of the night. Lately he has been coming in the middle of the night. He would crawl into bed with me most nights and the kids some of the others. His only explanation would be that he couldn't sleep over at Jason's place.

Him staying and going is fucking me up. I don't know what the hell to make of it and I can only imagine how confused the kids maybe by it. I need to put my foot down. He needs to figure out what the hell he wants and if staying is what he wants then....is that what I want him to want? Do I want him to want to stay?

I look on and smile as I noticed his hands clutching the children tightly to him even in deep sleep. As if he never wants to let them go. With the trace of my finger tips along his lips, my smile slowly disappears as I remember my grandmother's wise words. Just as I am about to draw my hand back, Alex leans up and kisses my fingers softly.

Looking up I catch his watchful alert gaze. "You always knew how to pull me back in....Why are you here Alex?" I mummer out softly.

A heavy sigh leaves his lips. He slowly extract the kids from his sides before unfolding himself from the small bed. "Eve, we need to talk." He whispers back softly. I search his pleading look and turn away to head out of the room with him close behind. Once we were in the master bedroom, he softly shuts the door and rakes his hands through his already ruffled strands.