Three

Minghao entered his phone number into Wonwoo's contact list after class had ended and Wonwoo felt a sense of pride as he realised that he had just got the number of someone who wasn't his mum for the very first time. Minghao took a quick selca for the contact picture, smiling cutely and throwing a finger heart. He passed the phone back to Wonwoo. "Here," he said, "please feel free to message me."

"Okay," Wonwoo replied. He noticed that Minghao had saved his contact with three flower emojis. This kid seemed cute, innocent. Well high school sure as hell would change that around, Wonwoo thought.

Standing up and slinging his bag onto his back, Wonwoo tuned to Minghao. "I have to be somewhere at lunch. You can come if you want," he said, pushing his chair back into the desk.

"If I will be no trouble," Mingho replied, "I do not have anyone else to sit next to."

"I don't really know the people though. We can talk to eachother if it gets awkward," Wonwoo suggested, earning an approving nod from the Chinese boy.

"That's fine. What are their names?"

"I only really know one. The others are in a group, and I don't really talk to them."

"Is the one you know your friend?"

Wonwoo thought about that for a second before deciding, "sort of."

The two boys continued to walk in an awkward silence up the steps to the cafeteria, having to stop so Minghao could tie his lace.

"So why are you in Korea?" Wonwoo asked. He wasn't too good with conversation, and although Minghao was friendly he was really goddamn quiet and Wonwoo didn't cope well with awkward silences, although he was mostly the cause of them.

"It doesn't really matter," Minghao replied, "my dad got a job here, and I just signed up to the foreign exchange programme to make friends. I wanted a fresh start."

"You seem friendly," Wonwoo added.

"Thank you," Minghao beamed at Wonwoo, before looking at the floor, "some people did not like me."

"It's the same for me," Wonwoo said with a shrug, "people can be dicks. I just ignore them."

"Okay," Minghao replied and the conversation drew to another awkward pause.

Shit, oh shit, oh shit.

Kim Mingyu's light brown hair and bright white smile could be seen from the other side of the cafeteria, and as soon as they caught Wonwoo's eye, Wonwoo's entire existence fell into panic mode. SHIT.

"Are you okay?" Minghao asked. Wonwoo realised he had drawn to a halt in the middle of the cafeteria.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

"Is that the table?" Minghao asked, following Wonwoo's gaze to the table by the water cooler and pointing at it.

"Yeah."

Minghao smiled reassuringly. "Let's go, then," he urged, giving Wonwoo's shoulder a light tap.

With a nod, Wonwoo continued forward. His body froze as Mingyu turned his head around, catching Wonwoo's eye and smiling.

"Hey, Wonwoo, come sit down," Mingyu called, his sharp-toothed grin making sparks shiver down Wonwoo's spine.

Wonwoo acknowledged Mingyu with a look and a nod, moving forward towards the table, his palms growing sweaty as he stepped closer to Mingyu.

"Come on, I saved you a seat next to me," Mingyu said, making eye contact with Wonwoo, who looked away instantly and inwardly screeched.

"Thanks," Wonwoo mumbled, pulling out the chair and sitting next to the taller boy, with Minghao talking the seat next to Wonwoo. Murmurs of talk began between his friends.