9- Wraithless

9- Wraithless

Kaz

The mountain was lightless.

Endless tunnels, all similar to the one he had originally portal-ed into, twisted and crossed, continuing without stopping. And virtually no lights. 

There were doors at various intervals but Kaz didn't care to see what was inside. Obviously, he really didn't need to run into any unwanted attention but it also meant he had no idea where he was going. He could be passing the toilets for all he knew.

After mere minutes, Kaz was so frustrated he wanted to scream. He did, sensibly, decided against this as it was about as good as going to open all of these doors and asking if anyone wanted to lock him up again. Where on earth were they keeping her?

Kaz was losing it and he knew it. He needed to gather his thoughts and concentrate. He needed to work out a plan. 

More hallways and plain rock, more identical doors and lack of light. Kaz stopped. Wandering aimlessly would get him nowhere. 

The old hag on the throne said Inej would go with the lanky guy beside her. Admittedly, he looked important and evil enough to be favoured by the queen. Therefore, his room will be in a more ornate section. Kaz needed to look for more expensive designs. 

And if there was one thing Kaz Brekker was good at, it was sniffing out things that were worth a lot. 

Kaz followed sounds and smells of action. Anyone up at this hour was probably drunk or rich and still flaunting it. At least, that's how it worked in Ketterdam. Kaz reckoned that here, you probably had to be both all the time to get by.

He started slowly but soon picked up speed in his search. It wasn't long before Kaz was running through the tunnels and being pulled towards what his senses could detect. He could smell posh food and hear murmured voices. Soon, Kaz could see swirling patterns of gemstones lining the halls and fancier holders for the rare torch.

He slowed his pace as he approached a larger section in the hollowed out rock. Before him stood a door. Large, with golden leaf embedded into the surface and various types and colours of stones were set into the design. The Queen's room.

But only one room. Nobody else. No Lanky Pricks to be seen.

And more importantly, no Inej.

Kaz knew it had only been a few minutes but it felt a lot longer. He had until midnight. It can't have been that long, could it?

Kaz set off running again, his 'plan' long forgotten. He just needed Inej. 

And his cane- his leg was killing him.

'Of all the ways I could die...' Kaz thought.

He was so caught up in thought he hadn't registered the increase in noise or the delicious smells.

'Pie?' And the light was upon him. 

The kitchen was empty but had an open door at the other end. Presumably, that was where all the noise was coming from. Kaz looked around for weapons and exits and anything he could use to break Inej out. His eyes slowly adjusted to the light while he looked for something that might suffice as a cane.

Just when he thought he could see properly, there came another bright light. 

"What in the name of- Kaz?" Kaz blinked once. Then again.

"Jesper, how did you get...? Oh, this is good. It means they're all still open. There's still time we need to find Inej and get to the other portals before they close." 

"Kaz, explain. Now." 

"We're fine but we need to find the portal room thingy that the ginger was going on about."

Jesper seemed a little stunned.

"Where's Inej?" Kaz could bearly see him in the lighting but he knew he was looking at him expectantly. Kaz sighed and picked up what looked to be a mince pie.

Jesper let out a sound of desperation before picking one up as well and heading towards the door Kaz had entered through. "Come on then."

***

As much as Kaz had plenty to be thinking about, he couldn't help but let his thoughts get stuck on the pain in his leg. Jesper didn't ask any more questions, or say anything at all to be honest, but Kaz knew he was noticing his pain. He could feel the pity.

Kaz ran faster.

And then came to a very abrupt halt.

Two of the spindly creatures that had carried him to the courtroom when he had first arrived were talking in hushed voices in front of a door- talking and laughing?

Kaz tucked himself and Jesper into an alcove.

The two nightmares performed a boney hand-shake and departed in different directions. Both boys held their breath as the one heading towards them went past. 

"What the hell was that?" Asked Jesper.

"No time for questions." Jesper made a choking sound. 

Slowly, they approached the door the creatures had been standing in front of.

Kaz hadn't opened a door all night and it was getting him nowhere. Was now the right time to start, though? He prayed that some of Inej's gods were routeing for her, and so, would help him now too.

Silently, Kaz's leather glove slipped around the door handle. The door was locked with a very old fashioned mechanism. It took Kaz mere seconds to pick it and allow himself and Jesper inside.

Kaz flicked his gaze to Jesper, watching as he took in the room. Jesper's gangly frame seemed to be more prominent when he was staring, mouth wide open. But, to be fair, the room was like nothing Kaz had ever seen. It was grand but clearly unused. There wasn't much in the way of furniture, but the walls and ceiling were carved out into shapes of cauldrons and earth. The centrepiece, however, was the doorless doorway in the middle of the room. Shaped in a semi-circle, it looked to be more expensive than the anything else in the whole room. A portal.

And it was open.

There were boxes and buttons around the portal, all just as finely made, all covered in the same amount of dust.

Where had those creatures been going?

What did they want with Ketterdam?

Just as his thoughts broke off, Kaz heard bells.

And panicked.

If that was twelve bells, they needed to leave. Right now.

But where was Inej? If the lanky prick had hurt her... Kaz stumbled. 

Quickly straightening himself, he looked around the room. The portals couldn't close. They would be stuck here if they did. Kaz wondered if he was too used to Inej miraculously saving herself (and them) and so hadn't really thought he'd need to do anything but get to the portals, where she would be waiting.

He tried listening out for her, but gave up, knowing it was fruitless. You didn't hear the Wraith, you felt her. You felt your death approaching.

A creaking noise sounded, and then a bang.

Kaz whirled around to watch the light fade from the doorless doorways.

The portals had closed.

And Inej was still not with them.