It's about to go down

After Mackenzie left I tried my possible best to fall asleep but I couldn't. His words were perpetually running through my mind and the more I thought about it, the worse I felt. I finally drifted off as the clock read 8:02 but my mind was too dead to comprehend it.

Here's the problem with that; Every Saturday morning, my mom forces us to have a family breakfast at 9:00 prompt. It's kind of the one thing that helps us remember that mom is indeed our mother even if she acts like a principal instead.

I stumbled out of bed and stared as my clock read 10:00. How was this possible! I was never late for anything. Throwing on a pair of sweat pants and a tank top, I flew down the stairs and into the kitchen. Mom sat at the head of the table with Talia and Elliot flanking her, and Seth beside Talia. There was an empty seat, which was for me, and I was ready to make a beeline for it when moms voice stopped me.

"Nice of you to finally join us" I watched as four sets of eyes stared at me; Seth's slightly amused, Elliot's mocking, Talia's apologetic, and moms was made of stone, as usual.

"Sorry, I overslept" I said frozen in place.

"Is that really any way a person of your age should be acting? Sooner or later you're going to enter the work force. Oversleeping will get you fired in a heartbeat" Mom said monotone, "Before you know it you'll fall into a stoop of foolishness. Whats next after that? You'll be jobless. And no self respecting corporation will hire anyone who oversleeps"

"I said I'm sorry" I snapped. I quickly looked down as moms eyes flashed. Now I was scared.

"Don't use that tone with me, young woman" Mom hissed.

"I just don't get it" I said softly not looking at anyone.

"Get what?"

"I mean, Talia and Elliot were out all night getting wasted and stupid, yet I can bet my lifesavings that all you did was scold them for ten seconds before dismissing the entire thing but here I am, merely, oversleeping and I'm getting a lecture" I said all of this quietly making sure not to make my self sound as if I were debating. Mom hated when people debated with her.

"Is that what you do now? Compare yourself to others?" Everyone looked at me and all of their faces made my stomach turn. They all regarded me sadly and I hated it.

"You've gotta be kidding me!" I shrieked. Everyone's eyes went wide but moms; she remained still.

"Throwing tantrums like a kid now, are we?" Mom said mockingly.

"That's because I still am a kid! Don't you understand that? Technically I'm the youngest in this forsaken family!" I yelled. Talia was a full three minutes older than me! Talia cringed and I knew I was now in dangerous territory but I didn't care. I was sick of her making me feel like every little thing on earth was my responsibility.

"Do you feel better now?" Mom said in the tone she used for the people who came to her book signings but never actually read the book.

"Wow" I laughed bitterly, "You know what makes all of this so funny?"

"I'm sure your about to tell me, darling" mom pursed her lips.

"As crazy as it sounds, if someone were to walk in today and tell me I was adopted, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash" Mom stood frozen and Talia gaped at me. Seth sat shocked while Elliot looked from mom to me and back again confused.

"Because then at least I would understand why you've always treated me the way you have. And at least I would know that there was a mother out there who actually felt like a mother" I turned and ran for the stairs before I could feel bad at the sight of her being left speechless.

I slammed my door shut and stared blankly out my window.