Sixty Eight || Before It's Too Late

When I open my eyes, the only light in the room is the lamp. At some point when James and I were sleeping, he turned on his back and I ended up on his chest. How? I have no idea, but it happened.

I roll off him and sit up, rubbing my eyes. I look out the windows and sure enough, it's pitch dark outside and the snow is still coming down pretty hard.

As I sit there with my hands on my face, trying to wake myself a bit, James moves closer to me and puts his hand on my leg.

I look down at him and smile. He was so tired that he just fell asleep reading his book. I mean this is definitely not the first he has done it. Sometimes he likes to just be in his room, alone and read his books. The fact of this makes me love him even more.

It's not very late at all and I doubt that I will fall asleep for another four or five hours from now. I would wake up James, but I don't know if he is planning on sleeping throughout the night, or if he is going to wake up any minute now.

I silently shake him a bit, just to test if he is planning on sleeping or not.

He rolls away from me and pulls the blanket closer to him. "Leave me alone," he whines. He's such a baby.

I smile. Sleeping all night, it is.

I stand up and pull my portion of the blankets up to his body and he turns onto his back. I turn the night side table light off and leave the room, quietly, shutting the door behind me.

Luckily, one set of my aunts and uncles left really early this morning and missed the storm and now there is an open room or Orlando and Kasey. The living room will be open.

I glance at the clock and it is a little bit after eleven o'clock at night and everyone already went to bed. I pull the big comforter off the end of the bed and wrap it around my body.

I may as well watch some T.V. It's probably the only thing that will actually make me go to sleep. Netflix is always by my side at times like this.

I watched at least half a season of Friends by now and I am still in unable to fall asleep. I hear a sudden movement on the stairs. I look in the direction and see a dark figure is coming down the staircase, slowly.

As soon as the person got into the light of the T.V. screen, I recognized James's figure. He looks down at me and smiles.

I open my arm and comes into my blanket and pulls me into his lap, wrapping his arms around me. "Why are you awake?" I break the silence between us.

He chuckles quietly, "I could ask you the very same thing, Darling," he kisses the side of my head.

"Well, I couldn't sleep," I answer simply.

I feel as he pulls a stray piece my hair that was in my face and puts it behind my ear. He kisses below my ear and I feel his broad smile against my skin. "I couldn't sleep, knowing you weren't there when you could be," he whispers to me.

I smile. He always does that. He makes my face hot with embarrassment and hot with anger, but it all evens out. My God, that sounds bad. 

"I love you," he whispers into my ear before I have the chance to reply to what he said before.

I turn and look at him for a minute. "I love you too, James," I gently kiss his lips.

He stares at me for a minute and smile. I turn away from him and look back at the T.V.

"So what are we watching anyways?"

"Friends," I reply simply.

We didn't speak for awhile after that.