Chapter 1 - Invert

Chapter 1 - Invert

There was something calming about the sound of crashing waves.

I peered down to my swinging feet, the rubber-lined backs of my shoes bouncing off the side of the building. Below, a smattering of rocks led onto the grassy shore, glowing under the full moon.

I sighed softly, tipping my head back.

Here, I was high up enough that the rest of the world faded away. The mundane commotion of cricket chirping, engine rumbling, and human murmuring were all left behind. The only noises echoing from Altswood were the occasional clangs of metal structures being set up in an open area near town. The carnival was rolling in to Bottle Island during our mid-year break, its lavish tent covers already flapping in the breeze. I could even see the tiny construction workers running around in their high-visibility vests, hurrying to finish setting up the carnival in time to profit from the bored students and mainland tourists.

I closed my eyes. And I breathed.

Or at least I tried, until a door banged open loudly from behind. Footsteps drew around the curved bend.

"You're being morbid, don't you think?"

I turned around, gripping the edges of the thick ledge so I wouldn't fall. Despite myself, a laugh escaped. "Whatever do you mean?"

Gabriel raised an eyebrow, silver in the moonlight. "Returning to the place you nearly died is rather macabre."

"Ooh, fancy word. Someone's been studying for his standardized tests."

"I have, actually," Gabriel retorted. "It's horrible." He leaned up against the ledge, taking in the cool, night air.

He offered no explanation for why he had joined me and I didn't ask.

We stayed motionless for a long while, looking down on the island from the viewing balcony atop the lighthouse. A long honk of a foghorn came from nearby: more tourists descending despite the late hour. I tried to imagine how the influx that were coming in with the winter would see Bottle Island. I tried to remember my mind when I first arrived.

"Dad's taking forever to approve the renovation projects."

I started at Gabriel's sudden remark, automatically following his gaze out to the burnt areas studded across Altswood. They weren't so obvious on the ground, but from where we stood, the damage resembled decorative patchwork.

Gabriel had done his part to bring up renovation every time his family gathered around the dinner table, but his father—the mayor—was likely more preoccupied with the tourism boom.

"It's only been a few months," I said. "But they should really fix this lighthouse first."

If they didn't, it would be collapsing very soon. The inside was wholly black and all the windows had been shattered beyond repair. The only area left unscathed was the viewing balcony and the light room inside, if we ignored the fine dusting of glass sprinkled over the floor.

Gabriel nodded in agreement, before a strange look crossed his face.

I braced myself.

"Did you hear about Rebekah?" he asked. His voice was low in caution.

I swivelled around, drawing my legs back in.

"I was one of the first to hear, actually," I said airily, springing off the ledge and crunching glass underfoot. "Apparently they notify surviving victims rather quickly."

Gabriel pulled a face caught between disdain and terror.

"Life imprisonment, ineligible for parole for at least ten years," he recited. "The jury doesn't take kindly on serial killing teenagers and blowing apart families."