#48. Say It Ain't So! » Chris

You were sat on the couch, watching TV, minding your own business, when all of a sudden Chris stormed into the house. You could feel his anger the moment he walked through the door. He stamped to the living room and dropped something on your lap.

"Look at this," he hissed. "Look at this shit!"

You picked it up. It was a comic book. "Captain America: Steve Rogers issue #1".

You suddenly remembered. It was the new Captain America comic series. Chris had been so excited for it to come out. He couldn't wait to read it. He pretty well jumped for joy when he was invited down to read it before anyone else. His attitude had definitely changed from when he left.

"Don't even read the whole thing," Chris stopped you as you opened to the first page. "Just...just skip to the end. Last few panels."

His mood was changing from anger to sadness. He sounded like he was about to cry.

You did as he said and flipped to the last page. The last few panels were Cap with some man (you assumed it was the bad guy). The man was bound and gagged. It looked like the perfect end; Cap had won a fight once again.

Until you read Cap's closing words.

"Hail Hydra."

You dropped the comic book and covered your mouth in surprise. You thought you read it wrong. You knew you read it wrong. You had to have read it wrong. Captain America was not a Hydra agent. Captain America would never be a Hydra agent. He was a damn soldier fighting against Hitler and the Nazis in World War 2! He would never EVER join Hydra. His heart was too pure for that.

Chris was pacing behind you, his hands intertwined behind his head.

"Can you fucking believe it?" he snapped. "75 years Captain America has been around. 75 fucking years, (Y/N)! He's been an American icon! A hero to children! And suddenly he's a goddamn Nazi?! He's a part of Hydra?!"

You quickly get up from the couch and race over to Chris. He was shaking. You knew his anger could lead to something bad. He could lash out. His anxiety could kick in and he could have an attack.

Rule 1 when Chris was like this: don't touch him. Touching him could only lead to bad things. Rule 2: just talk. Try to calm him down. Get off the topic that's making him mad.

Although right now, that's all you wanted to talk about.

"I should quit." He sounded like he was talking more to himself at this point. "I should try to get out of my Marvel contract and not do Infinity War. If I don't do Infinity War, they won't make me do this stupid fucking plotline. They'll just have to kill Cap. None of the kids who watch MCU will - will have to know about this. They won't have to have their hearts broken. They won't - "

Time to break rule 1.

You put a hand on Chris' shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. "Babe, slow down. You're gonna send yourself into an attack. Please, sit down, you're scaring me."

Chris did as you asked. He sat on the couch and put his head in his hands. You sat next to him and rubbed his back soothingly, trying your best to calm him down.

"Chris," you said. "Baby, just breath, okay?"

"I can't believe they'd do this," Chris said. You could hear the tears in his voice. "Why would they do this, babe?"

"I don't know, honey. I wish I did know. Maybe they have some plan in mind." You lean down to kiss Chris' cheek. He raises his head to look at you. His eyes are red and glossy with tears. "Listen to me, you big meatball - " This makes Chris smile a little. " - those children who run up to you on the streets and ask for pictures and autographs, they don't do that because they love the comics. Well, some might. But they do that because they love you. You're the Cap they see on the screens. You're their hero who fought Red Skull and Hydra and kicked so much ass it made them want to be superheroes themselves. They love YOU, not the Cap that the Marvel comic books. And if Marvel tries to make you do this storyline, I'll back you up in pulling out of the contract. They shouldn't do this. It's not right, but there's only so much we can do."

Chris looks up at you and smiles a little. "Thank you (Y/N)."

He pulls you into a hug. You hold him tightly and give him a reassuring squeeze before pulling away. You grabbed the comic off the coffee table.

"Now, let's use this as fire starter, shall we?"