Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Kelly's girlfriend circles around me like a vulture. She lifts my arm, flipping it over to inspect my wrist. Her eyes scour over the smooth, fang-free skin. Her voluptuous red hair catches the light and spills over her shoulders.

"You don't seem to be any worse for the wear," she comments.

Bogdan got one sniff of my blood and fled the scene. Am I really so repulsive? I should be relieved if this is the case, but I'm not.

"And he just left?" Kelly asks again.

He's sprawled across the dilapidated couch and thrums a few strings on his guitar. That couch has seen better days, but Kelly firmly believes those decaying fibers hold the source of his creativity. And who am I to say otherwise? The guy is pretty well-known in town for all of his musical masterpieces, so maybe it's true.

When his Momma threatened to throw it out a few years ago, he all but begged her to keep it. The two went round and round until she agreed, but only if it was kept on the back patio. Eyesores like that shouldn't be seen by company, she tried to explain. But her words went unheard; Kelly was already halfway out the door to save his prized possession from the greedy talons of the garbage truck.

He plucks a random string, loud enough to pull me back to his question. My shoulders slump.

"Yea," I answer, defeated. "He just left. No feeding, no asking me to drop off my blood to him later. Nothing."

Kelly pauses his music and then taps his foot to the beat of a new song. Fiona tuts at his lack of response and goes back to studying my wrist.

"It's not like you don't have good veins," she says. "These things are juicy!"

I pull my wrist out of her grasp. "You're so gross."

Fiona nudges me with a dazzling smile. "He'll come around, Finn. Don't sweat it."

Kelly rolls his eyes at the entire conversation. While my odd encounter with my vampire puzzles him, he thinks I should be happy with this turn of events. Most humans would be jumping at the gift of being released early from their role of being a consort.

Honestly, if my vampire was anyone but Bogdan, I might do the same. But there's something about that immortal man that makes me want to do well in my role, regardless of how carnivorous and demeaning it is.

Fiona sweeps her backpack off the floor of the patio and slides into onto her shoulders. She smacks Kelly's foot, a little too hard to be affectionate.

"Let's go," she demands in a warning tone. "We're going to be late to class."

She gives him a look, and he rolls his eyes again before setting his guitar to the side. "Yes, Finn, don't worry. He'll come around."

His voice is so monotone that I have to laugh. Kelly glances up at Fiona, his expression silently asking if that's enough. She returns with an icy stare. He trumps the look by jutting out his bottom lip, pouting and wrapping his arms around her legs. When she still doesn't budge he lifts her from the ground, swinging her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

She squeals and beats her fists on his back. "Put me down! Oh my gosh, Kelly. I am a grown ass woman. Put. Me. Down!"

Kelly grins and throws her onto the couch. He's on top of her a moment later, tickling her sides and pressing playful kisses along the side of her neck. This time it's me rolling my eyes. If I don't get out of here soon, I'll be privy to a front row viewing to some rather intimate moments between my two best friends.