Chapter veinte y uno

"So when do you think is Mrs. Flitch going to announce our partners for the BHWF this year?" Brooklyn asks me, sitting down next to me and opening her fruit juice. We are currently having lunch time and I'm really happy that we made up.

"I don't know. Rumor has it that it'll be this week. But maybe she's going to tell us once we're at the mountains." I shrug.
"Man, I really hope I'll be with one of you guys this year again. But I have a feeling that none of us is going to be together." She says and I nod, taking a bite of my apple.

"What's up, peeps?" Stella asks, sitting down next to Brooklyn. We smile at her and I frown at the lack of my best friend. Normally she's here before Stella.

"Where's Zada?" I ask and Stella nods at the line of students behind me. I turn around and my stomach immediately drops. Hades. Hades and Zada, smiling at each other. No way...Oh she's coming over here. And Hades too...

"Hey guys." She greets us and I just nod at her, continuing to munch on my food. Hades sits down next to me, great. He is now sitting between me and Zada. Don't flip, Emma. Why am I so angry all of a sudden? The whole time we've successfully avoided a conversation with each other.

After I had my talk with Zada two days ago, he came home late. He slept over noon the next day and helped my mom with chores. No conversation and interacting for us both. And today he drove me to school, because mom thought it was a waste of gas to drive in two separate cars. And again, we didn't talk or look at each other once. I'm fine with that, but now I just feel annoyed with him.

"What did we miss?" I hear Zada ask and almost roll my eyes. Since when did they become an 'us'.
"Oh, we were just wondering when Mrs. Flitch is going to announce the pairs for the BHWF." Stella shrugs. I hope I have somebody who's nice. Maybe a girl or a guy I have never even talked to. So I get to know a new person.

"Oh. I think she's going to announce it on the mountains. I just have a feeling. But maybe she'll tell us now and lets us practice how to work together. That would make more sense." Zada shrugs and I nod. That would definitely make more fun.

"If you don't want that, I'm eating it." I turn my head to Stella and see her eyeing Hades' plate. He shrugs and pushes his food towards her. I frown, but keep my mouth shut. He didn't have a good breakfast either today. All he ate was an apple.

"Thanks." Stella says and he winks at her, making me roll my eyes.
"Gotcha." He says and looks around the cafeteria. What is he doing? He seems so off. I decide not to question it and stand up.

"Guys, I have to go to the library. See you later." I say and they exchange a look. I know I have been going to the library pretty often lately, but that's just an excuse. In reality I just meet up with Bradley and we talk. I feel bad for just leaving him at the party. Especially after what he told me about Jack.

We say good bye and I make my way to the library. Once I'm in, I walk towards our usual spot and sit down on the ground. I hope he isn't mad, that I just left him, but I think he understood why I had to go that quickly.

"Hey." I hear him say and sit down next to me. I smile at him and greet him back.
"So, how's Xandros' grandma?" He asks.
"She's doing good." I answer.

"Well, that's good I guess. He must be happy." He says and I nod. At least I think he is.
"Yup. Sorry I left you at the party, though." I say and he shakes his head.

"Are you kidding me? Of course you had to go. No apologize needed. Did you talk it out yet?" He asks, making me sigh and pick on my nails. I need to get them done too.
"Nope. And I don't think he wants to anymore. He's been acting pretty distant lately. Probably because of all that stuff with his grandma." I shrug and he nods.