The Meeting

After I got my wits together I started walking towards Austin's office so we can go to the meeting. He was walking out when I was about to walk in.

"Follow me." We were going towards the elevator when I seen Amy giving me a thumbs up with a cookie in her hands. I smiled back at her. Once we reached the elevator it was complete silence. Awkward. I seen him press the 33rd floor button.

"So you bake?"

"Um. Yeah." How did he know?

"Amy was eating cookies all morning so I asked her if she made cookies with her daughter last night but she said you gave them to her."

"I felt like it was the least I could do."

"What do you mean?"

"We both work for an ass." I walked out when the elevator stopped at our floor. He walked out in front of me and opened the door to where the meeting I suppose is going to be held. I walked in and seen about 20 men talking and sipping coffee, socializing. They ranged from older men to young men. The old CEOs to the new CEOs. Interesting.

Austin motioned me to a chair in the corner of the room. I sat down and he went to his chair. The main chair since it was at the head of the table. As I was looking around I saw a familiar face. Oh. My. God. It's the pizza parlor guy. Josh? We locked eye contact and he realized it was me and started towards my direction. Before I could think of an escape route he was in front of me.

"The ever so beautiful Averey it is both a pleasure and a surprise to see you here."

"I work here as Mr. Carter's assistant."

"Oh really...you work for the competition." I only smiled. Rival companies I suppose. Another familiar face came towards Josh and I. ADAM!

"Averey I didn't know you worked for Austin," Adam said. "And here I thought all along you guys were dating."

Josh and Adam were waiting for me to respond but I was lost for words.

"Mixing business with pleasure eh," Josh said. I was sitting there looking up at them as if they were the big bullies that kept nagging at me. In fact they were indeed the big bullies.

I looked at Austin at the other side of the room for help. I think he got the message.

"Gentlemen! Let's begin."

Josh and Adam both said their goodbyes and went to their seats at the table. I sagged with relief. I looked up and saw Austin staring at me. I was the first to look away.

The hour long meeting was going on to hour two. It consisted of a bunch of bickering and talking. I wrote down what I thought was important. When the men were bickering I started doodling in the margin little hearts and flowers.

I looked up bored out of my mind when I saw Austin looking the same as me with his fist at his jaw leaning against the back of his chair. He looked at me. I started to pretend I was writing. Can this meeting just be over?

Austin finally ended the meeting. Thank god. He looked at me and nodded his head. I got up and followed him out the door. While me and Austin were waiting for the elevator Josh came up to me. What now?

"Hey Averey I wanted to know if you wanted to go out with me tonight for dinner maybe?"

"Um.."

"We have arrangements tonight," Austin chimed in. Since when?!

"You know what I'll call you sometime." He left before I could give him my number.

Austin and I got in the elevator. I was fuming.

"We have no arrangements tonight so why make it up!" He looked at me with those hard eyes.

"He only wants one thing from you! Does that answer your question? I was watching Josh and Adam looking at you throughout the meeting like you were a piece of meat...that they couldn't wait to get there hands on." He looked defeated. I didn't say anything till we got to his office floor.

"You may go to lunch now if you would like?"

"Thank you." All I was noticing throughout the meeting was him. I didn't notice Josh and Adam were looking at me too.

I decided to go to a deli and get a sandwich. I was sitting at a table outside the deli eating my lunch. People were passing by me on their way to and from lunch. While I was looking around something spotted my eye. My heart dropped.

It was Austin and some other girl holding hands. They were laughing and smiling at one another. They both looked so...happy.