Chapter 26

She had been dreaming that Daud was near her. Touching her. Her lips slightly spread in a pleasing smile, eyes still closed she moaned,

"Daud"

The fingers on her face stilled. She frowned and her eyes fluttered open finally focusing on the person in front of her. It was like she had woken up from a beautiful dream to a nightmare. There, beside her was her husband and his hand was resting on her cheek. She jerked away from his hand and hastily sat up.

He was frozen kneeling on the grass gazing at her. Did he hear her right? She scurried to the house. Not even giving him a backward glance. He sagged back on the grass and grasped at what just happened.

How long will it take for her to forget Daud?

A terrible sensation replaced his heart as realization dawned upon him. He may have married her but she wasn't his. Rubbing his face with both his hands, a silent prayer left his lips as his eyes rose to the bright blue sky.

Ya Allah grant me patience.

But patience wasn't Salman's trait at all.

****

She was hurrying to Manal's room where she yearned to find solace in this house when a voice stilled her.

"Nawal?" Ghazala called out from the kitchen.

She winced and slowly turned to her mother. Ghazala's disapproving gaze glided up and down Nawal's appearance.

Grabbing Nawal's arm she tugged her out of the kitchen, "We will be back Seema," she said over her shoulder and dragged Nawal up the stairs.

"Mom? Where are you taking me?"

Ghazal ignored Nawal's question and instead opened Salman's room door and pushed her inside. Closing the door behind her, Ghazala glared at her daughter, "What are you wearing?"

Nawal glanced at her clothes and shrugged nonchalantly, "Clothes"

"This is not how a newly wedded bride dresses. What will Salman and Seema think?" She gritted her teeth.

"I don't want to dress up. I'm fine as it is. Besides, they both saw me in this and no one complained." Nawal slumped on the bed. Her mother was giving her a headache now.

Ghazala paid no heed to her daughter's excuses and instead open her suitcase and took out the fancy green dress, "It is a tradition for the girl to wear green the next day after her wedding." Ghazala stressed as she laid the dress on the bed. "I have prepared special breakfast for everyone. Go get dressed and come downstairs for breakfast."

"I don't want to," Nawal whined.

"And wear your jewellery as well." Ghazala ordered as she closed the door and left the room.

She stared at the dress and thoughts flooded back how she had selected this dress to wear for Daud. To please him. To see his eyes lit up with appreciation. But now, it was a forced act. A façade to please the people around her. Her heart wasn't into it. She had to comply. It was an act. All an act.

Half an hour later, Salman walked in his room to find Nawal hovering over the dresser as she hurriedly squeezed the green glass bangles through her hand onto her wrist. She was dressed in a fancy green and gold dress that flared around her elegantly. Her curly dark brown locks were spilled over her back and shoulders. He had never seen her loose hair since they were children. The sight of her in the fancy dress and her dark tresses summersaulted his heart. He couldn't resist himself and he approached her.

She was taking out the gem embellished gold necklace out of its box and when she placed it on her collarbone, their eyes met on the mirror's reflection. Her fingers froze, clutching the necklace to her neck.