Five

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

Cedric looked up from taking notes and his eyes found the back of Iris' head. They were sitting in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and the lesson was much less. . . terrifying than the last one. He stared at the back of her head, and all of a sudden, she's so beautiful. 

Wait, what? What was happening? Since when did he think Iris was beautiful? She was beautiful, but he'd never really thought about it before. Now he couldn't seem to get the thought out of his head. Her eyes were such a beautiful blue color, and the expression she had on her face when she was concentrating really hard was so cute. 

NO. No, no, no. 

He couldn't think of Iris this way; she was his best friend. He shook his head to clear the thoughts and tried to focus on Professor Moody, but his eyes drifted back to Iris in a few minutes. 

He really needed a different seat or something.

~~~

At lunch he saved a seat for Iris as usual, and when she sat down next to him, he suddenly found himself needing more space. She was so close he couldn't breathe. Her blond hair was pulled back into a hasty bun and he couldn't help but think that it looked perfect. She smiled up at him and his own mouth curved into a smile of its own will. His eyes lingered on her lips a little too long and he cursed himself.

"I can't believe it. The couple of the year for the past six years is sitting right across the table from us." Justin squealed like a fangirl.

"I know, right? I really wish I hadn't left my camera in the dorm. The way they stare into each other's eyes is just so. . . indescribable." Hannah sighed, dropping her chin onto her hand with a dreamy look in her eyes.

Cedric felt himself turning bright red and cursed his friends. He had been staring into Iris' eyes.

"Would you give us some peace for just one lunch?" Iris sighed in exasperation. "We're just friends and you know it." That hurt a bit more than he was willing to admit.

"Just friends? Bullocks. You guys looked like you might start snogging if we hadn't interrupted you." Justin laughed heartily at their red faces.

"I hate you guys so much." Cedric glared, hoping that they would just disappear.

"Almost as much as you love Iris?"

His head hit the table, making the dishes clatter and several students look their way. He was so done with all of this.

~~~

Cedric sat in bed that night, desperately trying to fall asleep. He had a feeling that this was going to be a very long night.

Why couldn't he stop thinking about Iris? What in the wizarding world was happening to him? He considered asking someone about it, but immediately pushed the thought away. They would probably think he was crazy. Maybe he was going insane.

Maybe you're falling for her. A voice whispered in the back of his head. No, no, no, and no. Iris is my best friend. He reminded himself, hitting himself on the forehead to try to get the thought out. That only made his forehead hurt, and the thought remained stubbornly stuck. So what if she's your best friend? Everyone says you guys are in love despite it. Maybe they're right. 

Maybe they are. Well, no. She wasn't in love with him. How could she be when they were best friends? But maybe. . .

Maybe he was in love with her.

He buried his head in his hands and thought, oh no. My life is over.