PROLOGUE

Alchemy Jones sat patiently in her seat as she waited for her date to arrive. It wasn't unusual that he was late, hell, sometimes he wouldn't even show up. She looked like a doll, dressed in her best chiffon dress and wearing her favourite black oxfords, which were tinted with mud since it was raining outside.

Her mother told her it would be a good idea to cancel her date because the weather was so gloomy and awful. The weather of course, didn't stop seventeen-year-old Alchemy from sporting her navy bolero jacket and walking to the diner with her umbrella held high.

She took a sip of her drink, red lipstick staining the glass. With a loud sigh (which caught the attention of a passersby), she realized her date would not be making an appearance. She shoved her hand into the pocket of her jacket and placed some change on the table. Before she could get up, in came her date, his auburn hair soaked from the rain.

He immediately noticed her grim face, running up to her like a lost dog. "Darling, I'm so sorry."

She rolled her eyes, scoffing as she walked past him with a little sass to her walk. She didn't even want to look at him, whatever his excuse was would probably be one she's heard before. "Save it Peter."

Peter Dunn's face dropped and he immediately felt bad. He wasn't a bad guy, he was just always caught up in bad things. "Come on darling, you know I don't mean to hurt you."

She kept walking, not having any of it. "I don't want to hear it Peter, don't you understand that?"

"Hold on," he called out after her. "You don't get to walk away from me."

"Watch me!"

The diner bell rung as she stepped out of the dingy restaurant and back into the pouring rain. She knew Peter would be following her, coming up with ways to turn it around on her or make him look like a victim, but she kept walking. The click-clack of her shoes gave her more courage to walk away from the man her mother was sure she was going to marry, the splash of puddles soothing her nerves.

"Baby, please!"

She snorted, shaking her head as she heard his loafers catch up to her oxfords. "Why must you follow me Peter? I'm walking away from you and you are supposed to stay away."

"I was coming back from Jodi's— you don't get to pull this on me! I'm the man of this relationship."

"Oh please," she rolled her eyes once more, making sure he saw it this time. "I'm more of a man than you'll ever be!"

Peter raised his hand to slap her and almost too quickly, she prepared herself for the impact. Instead, she felt his cold hand on her cheek and his lips on hers. "I'm sorry darling."

She nodded her head against his hand, pulling her lips away from his. "I know Peter, but I'm afraid to inform you that this will be the last time you'll be kissing my ass," she handed him her umbrella, which he took with a shocked face. "Take it, you'll need it to keep your heart from getting colder than it already is."

She left him, his mouth dropped to the ground. On the other hand, she was smirking as she walked away. One of those smirks that only you can really tell why it's made an appearance, while others just assume you are up to something devious. Maybe what she did was a little devious, she was known for being a heartbreaker throughout Brooklyn after all.

As she made her way into the alley her family's house was located on, she found herself losing her hint of happiness. Two men— or boys as it seemed, fought aggressively near the garage of her house. One seemed to have more dominance over the other, swinging his fist right into the smaller one's jaw. He collapsed, flat on the ground before he scrambled to stand up, squaring up once more.