Teach Me How To Play

It was surprisingly quiet considering we had just arrived at the venue the boys would be playing for the night. Normally the crew and boys were spilling all over the place trying to settle in for the evening. After scoping the venue out and being awestruck in the size, it occurred to me the presence of my boyfriend was lacking.

"Hey Jam, have you seen Hann?" I asked the boys manager, Jamie, who was conversing with the venue staff.

"Probably in the dressing room, you know how he is, but here make sure you have this visible." He responded, handing me an All Access sticker. Situating the sticker on the thigh of my pants, I made my way back to the dressing rooms. Winding my way into the backstage area, as I approached the dressing room I could faintly hear the strumming of a guitar. Nothing recognizable, just randomly skillful chords that could only be a result of Hann's boredom. Quietly making my way into the dressing room, I immediately spotted him. Sitting in a chair, guitar in his lap, strumming away. He looked so at ease and as much as I wanted to startle him, decided against it. Creeping up behind him wasn't hard with how focused on his playing he was.

"There you are." I hummed into his ear as I wrapped my arms around his neck. His hands stopping, filling the room with silence.

"Here I am." He smiled turning his head as best he could to glance at me. I pecked his cheek before releasing him from my grip and moving to sit in the small sofa across from him.

"You got a pass, good. I heard Jamie saying they want to really buckle on security tonight. You know I need you there." He mentioned to my pass before continuing to pluck away on his guitar. He couldn't see it but I gave him a look anyways.

"Bullshit. You do just fine whether I'm here or not." He glanced over at me, his hands still dancing across the neck of the guitar.

"Okay fine, I do better when you're here." Pausing, he tuned one of the strings, lightly plucking as he went. He made it all seem so effortless and easy.

"Would you teach me how to play?" The light in his eyes as he looked up at me was the most precious thing I'd ever witnessed. His entire demeanor perked up.

"Really?" He smiled, he was trying to not come off as excited as he was but I could see through it. Laughing to myself, I nodded and in a flash he was beside me.

"Here," he carefully placed the guitar in my lap and I instantly tensed. I was regretting my decision. I just looked at him as if to say 'take it off' causing him to chuckle.

"Relax, it won't bite you." Moving closer, he wrapped his arm around me to place my right hand on the strings.

"I just don't want to fuck your guitar up. I have zero coordination. Compared to how you play in guaranteed to make a fool of myself." I rambled as he continued to situate me with the instrument.

"You'll be fine." He was too excited about getting to show me how to play to actually listen to what I was saying. Although having him close, and seeing the genuine excitement in his face made it worth it. He placed my, rather small, hands in a position in the neck.

"Take this." He handed me the black pic that had his last name printed on one side along with the signature rectangle on the other. His eyes bounced back and forth between my hands.

"Keep your hands tight on the neck, and strum the strings" Doing as he said a horrendous noise came from the instrument that visibly made him cringe.

"I knew this was a bad idea." I tried to pull away from the guitar wanting to forget this idea all together but he held me in place.

"No, no. Calm down. Everyone's first chord isn't always magic. Lemme help you." He placed his hand over mine on the neck, being sure to press down hard to hold the strings in place.

"Now try it." Strumming downwards on the strings it wasn't perfect but a lot less cringeworthy. Feeling somewhat proud, I smiled up at him.

"See, here now just move your hand down." He slide our hands down the neck a bit before applying the same pressure.

"Strum twice" Again just doing as told I strummed twice. The chords sounding significantly better to the point I was able to recognize them as the beginning chords of You, one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

"Very smooth." I smiled, turning to face him to see him smirking at me. Just as he started to lean towards me, the door to the dressing room burst open.

"Oi, lovebirds we got soundcheck! Hurry up. " Matty playfully teased. I sighed, leave it to Matty to ruin a moment. Adam laughed before quickly pecking my lips.

"Cmon." He took the guitar and my hand as we made our way to the stage to soundcheck.