Chapter 9: All Mine, Only Mine

Serena was left in bewilderment of what had transcended just mere seconds ago. Bringing her hand to her mouth, Serena grazed her heated, swollen lips with her fingers, running along them in a dazed state. My first kiss! There was no helping how clueless Serena felt right this moment. Every emotions that were spiralling within her felt strange and unfamiliar. Never had she felt such a stringent pull towards a guy before. Never had she had the urge to spend her every waking moment with someone —  with River. Never had she imagined that she would be so utterly affected by River. Never had she thought that River would kiss her and more importantly, that she would return the gesture. For someone whom had never been kissed before, Serena felt embarrassed how impulsive her behaviours were, giving into temptations and following River's lead. She had no idea what was going on or what she was doing, all she knew was that it felt right like home should feel. And for that, there was no regret.

Snapping out of her trance, Serena shook her head and took a couple of breaths before getting back to work.

All the while, Serena tried pushing River to the backburner of her mind but alas a small fire within her mind and body was still ignited. She couldn't fully shake her thoughts from River. Her body reacted with fervor each time she recalled the kiss. She could still feel his soft lips on hers as he devoured her mouth with such passion that sent her hay-wired. She could still feel his hands lingering on her body, smoothing over her curves, tracing her figure.

Going about her shift, Serena kept glancing at the clock, counting down the minutes she had left until she would see River again. As excited as she was, a part of Serena was afraid that River might regret kissing her. She was scared of losing his friendship because she was not good enough. Did she deserve to be by his side? Did someone like River deserve to get stuck with someone like her — broken, unfit, and emotionally scarred.

The only thread piecing Serena together from breaking down in fear was River's affirmative promise to meet her afterwards. And Serena trusted River without so much as batting an eye. No doubt River was a man of his words and thus far, he had given her no reasons to not believe in him.

Minutes inched away, crawling at such a slow, painful agonizing pace that Serena jumped in relief when her shift ended. Grabbing her bag, Serena raced to exit the stores to where River stood, leaning against his car. Now that she was right in his presence, nerves got the better of Serena as heat flushed her skin and Serena had to gulp to moisten her rapidly drying throat. Their eyes locked to each other as soon as River noticed her approaching. The closer she got, the louder her heart pounded as she took note of how darker River's blue hues swirled. Oh boy, the things River does to me... Is it possible to induce a heart attack from the number of times my heart constricted in harmonious bliss?

No words were spoken when they stood face to face. Not that words were needed as River reached out and settled his hands on her waist. Dragging her closer to his body, River leaned over to rest his forehead on hers as they both simultaneously closed their eyes. The moment was lost on them as River slid his hands behind her back, causing her body to align against his while her hands rested on his broad chest. Silence cocooned them in a soothing standstill as they relished each other's embrace and replenished their energy in each other's presence.

After what seemed like minutes, River pulled back slightly enough to place a gentle kiss on her forehead, then tracing his lips to her nose, softly nudging it and then traveled down to her lips where he placed a quick and teasing peck.

"Come on," River spoke, regaining Serena's attention whom was lost from the gentleness that was River. Stepping out of his hold, Serena was already missing River's heat but regardless she proceeded to sit in the seat when River opened her door.