35

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Forever grateful . . .

I turned the wheel to the left and at last recognized the landscape. Driving up the long, windy road, I pulled over.

I opened the door and there I saw them, standing altogether. Nakatutuwa silang pagmasdan. It's like we're having a reunion.

We actually do this annually, unlike when we were still in high school and college; we had a lot of time in our hands. But now that we're living in reality where we have to work our ass out the entire day, we got no time to hangout like we used to. Nakami-miss din talaga 'yong high school life. Tamang chill lang, daming time maglakwatsa. Ngayon, halos wala na.

"Ger!" I giggled, running towards him to give him a hug.

"You've become even taller," komento ko.

He shrugged nonchalantly as he gave me a soft kiss on my cheek.

I shivered when the cold breeze touched my skin.

The trees surrounded us, the most majestic I have ever seen, standing high and proud. Now, I realized why his family brought him here; it was the most beautiful place on earth.

One by one, we gently put the flowers and gifts in front of his tombstone.

My heartbeat was getting back to normal and my body was now relaxed amidst the serenity of my surroundings.

Ipinikit ko ang mga mata ko saka huminga nang malalim at dahan-dahang minulat ulit ang mga mata ko.

"Happy birthday, Helix," I said, looking up at the sky to show him my warm smile. "I hope you're happy up there," dagdag ko pa saka ko isinabit ang kamay ko sa braso ni Gerald.

Unti-unting kumawala ang luha mula sa mga mata ko at naramdaman ko rin ang pag-init ng pakiramdam ko.

It's been seven years since Helix died, but he will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Matagal na panahon man ang lumipas, para sa 'min ay buhay pa rin siya. Ang pinagkaiba lang, hindi na namin siya nakikita pero siya, nakikita niya kami.

It did not seem fair that a person as admirable as him should have had to suffer and live the life that he was forced to live. Maaga man siyang kinuha sa 'min, mas nakabuti na rin 'yon para sa kanya kaysa pahirapan pa siya n'ong sakit niya sa mahabang panahon.

Losing him was so painful to me. It was unfair. I wanted to question the existence of God. I wanted to ask Him why He had to take Helix away from us at a very young age.

I lost hope.

I lost faith.

I wanted to blame Him for losing the one I love.

Pero no'ng lumipas 'yong panahon, I realized something.

Meeting and falling in love with someone who's dying wasn't really a curse. It was actually a blessing.

Helix taught me so many things in life. Like how to love, not to give up, not to lose hope, and how to stand firm like I've never been hurt.

And I thank God for letting me cross paths with Helix.

Even though we've known each other just for a few years, he'd still stay in my heart forever.

My lips curved into a smile when memories came back to me. He was the best boyfriend I've ever had. And losing him inspired me to become the person I am today.

For that, I will be forever grateful.

"I love you, Helix," I said, wiping the tears off my cheek as I stared at the sky.

"Always, and forever."

***

RUNNING out of breath, I entered the elevator and immediately wiped off my sweat.

I didn't bring my car with me because Ger dropped me off here in Realgorez.

Nagmadali talaga akong pumunta rito sa Realgorez dahil alam kong late na ako. Not just late but too late. Originally, my schedule of meeting with Mr. Adams was yesterday, but I haven't showed up because I chose to attend Hel's birthday.

Luckily, Mr. Adams gave me one last chance to show up for today. And here I was, breathing heavily because there's only three minutes left before the meeting started.

Sana hindi ako ma-late ulit!

I let out a frustrated sigh when I checked my phone. I have ten missed calls from Ms. Leila.

She'll probably kill me once I got back in De Grande.

Finally, I reached the 14th floor, so I immediately walked through the hallway and asked around about Mr. Adam's office, but they all led me to his secretary's desk.

"Hi, Ma'am. You're the representative of De Grande, right? Ms. Park?" she clarified, and I nodded in response.

"This way, Ma'am," she said as she led the way.

I followed her until she stopped in front of a laminated door. "Can I come in?" tanong ko at agad naman siyang tumango.

I knocked first before going in, and there I saw Mr. Adams sitting on his office chair, his broad back facing me.

"Hi, good afternoon, Mr. Ad—"

I couldn't keep talking anymore when he slowly turned around to face me. My eyes widened in surprise, leaving my jaw no choice but to drop on the floor. 

~

T I A N A V I A N N E