36

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Final destination . . .

"DEST?" I blurted in surprise.

Hindi ako makapaniwala na nasa harapan ko siya ngayon.

It was seven years ago since the last time I saw him at Hel's funeral. After the funeral, Dest just disappeared, and we heard nothing from him. Nawala siya kasabay ng pagkawala ng kapatid niya.

And now he's here. In front of me.

"Little Ger," he said, and surprise crossed his face. He stood up right away, saka siya naglakad papalapit sa 'kin.

A smile escaped my lips when he called me that. I haven't heard of that for a long time. Ang sarap lang pakinggan ulit ng boses niya.

Hindi ko inaasahan na darating 'yong araw na 'to, na makararamdam ako ng saya na makita siya. I used to hate his presence. Madalas talaga pinagtatabuyan ko pa siya kasi nakaiirita talaga siya.

Pero ngayon . . . sobrang saya ko dahil nandito ulit siya sa harapan ko.

"It's really you," he said, astonishment written on his face.

I was about to give him a hug because I haven't seen him for a very long time, but I suddenly remembered everything that Helix once told me.

Dest had feelings for me.

Oh, well, how could I be so sure that he still has feelings for me? It's been a very long time. A lot of things have changed now. And I'm sure he's married.

Setting the past aside, I greeted him with a warm hug. Ikinagulat niya 'yong ginawa ko, pero naramdaman ko na lang din ang pagyakap niya pabalik sa 'kin.

I really missed him!

"Why are you here? And what do you mean by it was really me?" I asked as our bodies parted.

"Oh. That." He paused. "Take a seat," he said, gesturing the leather sofa at the center of his office.

I flashed him a smile and did what he said.

He sat across from me, his eyes not leaving mine.

Why was he staring at me like that? It's like he saw a ghost or something.

"Reynold Adams was my dad's best friend. That explains why I'm working here at his company, as the managing director."

Nalaglag ang panga ko nang sabihin niya iyon.

"A-are you serious? You're a managing director? At this age? Jesus. I'm still a trainee at our company," pabulong na sabi ko pero mukhang narinig niya dahil bigla siyang tumawa.

"You heard it right, little Ger. Anyway, I was with Rey yesterday when you haven't showed up. And I accidentally saw your last name on his phone screen, Park nakalagay, eh. He was trying to call you, but you weren't answering. I wasn't sure if it was really you kasi Park lang naman nakalagay. But I still tried to convince him to give you another chance. I told him to be more considerate knowing that you're from De Grande and it's far from here."

"Y-you really did that?" I said, raising both of my brows in surprise. Ano'ng mayroon? Bakit ang bait niya yata? If it's the younger version of him, malamang ay siniraan niya na ako kay Mr. Adams para lang mapag-trip-an ako.