Chapter Ten: The Circle

For the next hour they all hung out and talked, sitting around the bonfire, maybe thirty of them. Cal had brought beer, and apple cider for those who, like Cordelia didn't want to drink.

Cordelia sat on a log wedged between Ethan and Kendra, their knees touching. One of her arms was almost too warm from the fire while the other one was pleasantly chilly.

Cal sat across the circle, nestled between his two biggest fangirls; Nina, and Indigo. Unlike Nina, Indigo had never bothered Cordelia. Probably because Indigo thought she was too cool and mature for pettyness. Indigo was the wildest girl in school, with her dyed black hair, seven body piercings (that you could see) , and circle of flames tattooed around her belly button. Cordelia had always admired Indigo's daring.

The fact that Nina and Indigo -polar opposites- were both vying for Cal's attention showed how universal he was.

His face was occasionally obscured by the roaring flames that warmed his strikingly handsome visage. Something about the fire complimented him. He had never looked more beautiful to Cordelia.

Cal suddenly stood much to Nina and Indigo's dismay, and circled around the fire before settling next to Cordelia.

"I'm glad you could all come tonight." Cal said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "This is the first year I haven't celebrated Mabon." He announced, his face golden and flame-coloured.

Kendra smiled and leaned forward, "What's Mabon?" She asked.

"Mabon is tonight. It's a Wiccan Sabbat, the autumnal equinox."

You could have heard a feather drop to the ground. No one said anything.

Cal seemed aware of everyone's surprise, but not self-concious.

"My mother practices wicca, so growing up my brother and I would celebrate with her and her circle members." He explained. "As I got older, I realised wicca wasn't really my thing." He shrugged as if he was talking about deciding he didn't like chipotle.

Realisation dawned on Cordelia as she realised that might be why Kol had been at the occult bookstore.

"What is your thing?" Indigo asked, with a grin.

Of course if anyone was into this, it would be Indigo.

"Let's say it's just a bit more...intense than wicca." He replied, with a devilish smirk, the fire reflecting in his eyes.

Nina leaned closer, so her face was no longer obscured by the dark. "Mind showing us?" She asked, surprisingly equally interested in whatever was more intense than wicca. Or she was just interested in Cal. Yeah, that sounded more like the Nina Cordelia knew and despised.

"If you guys are down...we could do a circle..." Cal answered cryptically, a smirk on his lips.

Cordelia looked at Vanessa. Her dark brown eyes were wide. She then turned to Ethan and they exchanged a conversations worth of emotions in a look. They were both surprised, and a bit skeptical, but they were also intrigued. One look exchanged with Kendra, and Cordelia knew she shared the sentiment.

"What do you mean a circle?" It was a few seconds before Cordelia recognised the voice as her own.

"We all stand in a circle," explained Cal, "and join hands, and walk in a circle. That's all you guys have to do. I'll do the rest."

"You're joking." Kyle said, sipping his beer.

Cal looked at him evenly, "I'm not, but if you're not into it, that's fine."

"Jesus, he's serious." Scott Hansen said to no one in particular.

"Listen, it's not a big deal. Making a circle doesn't mean you're joining wicca, or going against your religion, or worshipping Satan. If you're not interested that's cool, you're welcome to leave. Either way, thanks for hanging out."