Chapter Six

Luca

The woman was insane. That was the only explanation for her easy acceptance of what I'd told her two days ago. Yes, I wasn't the crazy one after all, it was her. That beautiful head of hers was without a doubt missing a few dozen screws. How else would someone who had no previous knowledge of this life be totally okay with being thrown into it unexpectedly. Within seconds of hearing the truth, she literally carried on as if nothing was wrong and continued, or better yet quadrupled her efforts at seducing me. If that couldn't be considered crazy, I didn't know what could.

Being the fool that I clearly was, I felt an obscene, undoubtedly irrational amount of pride at how well she took the news. What sensible man in my shoes wouldn't want a strong woman that could handle being the wife of a known criminal, that was the whole reason why we got married within our circle to women who had been raised in this life. There was no place in my world for a fragile little wallflower to exist without damage. Civilian women simply couldn't be trusted to handle all the ups and downs of this life, they just didn't have what it would take to survive in this realm. At least that's what I had convinced myself of until Kimberly managed to prove me wrong. I had even braced myself for the disappointment of having her immediately back off and run home to safety but instead, I found myself almost bursting with joy at her mental and emotional strength. She simply made adjustments to her future plans and carried right along with her plot to trap me, which pleased me immensely. Not that I was, in the least, warming up to her plans, I couldn't be. The woman was a lunatic, she had to be.

I rubbed my temples in exasperation, having developed a mild headache from once again going back and forth about my feelings towards the little redheaded minx. She was working her way under my skin so easily and so quickly that I was fast becoming confused as to which one of us was truly crazy. What kind of sick man grew more and more attracted to a woman that was so aggressively pursuing him, with open intentions to shackle him in marriage for the rest of their lives? It was really all too much to decipher so I decided it was best to lay my confused thoughts to rest until I returned home. I would no sooner reach a more pleasing conclusion by mulling over it now. I silently vowed to myself that after this situation was sorted out I'd never procrastinate again.

Alright Giordano, get back to work! I chided myself, trying my best to refocus on the pile of documents strewn across my desk.

I had gone into my office in the city desperately seeking a little reprieve from the onslaught of Kim's sexy schemes. Usually I wouldn't not have had a problem working from my office space at home but I needed time and space to recuperate or I'd surely give in to the temptation to claim her as mine. Or was it to let her claim me for her own? Either way both alternatives were unacceptable.

So you think she's sexy now? My mind taunted me. I was convinced my conscience didn't understand the basic concept of its duties. It clearly didn't know that it was suppose to be pushing me in the right direction and not into the arms of a woman to whom I was not betrothed. The supple but firm arms of a truly enchanting woman. Arms that would clutch my shoulders in ecstasy as I-

Damn! Damn! Damn! I thought as I noted the direction my mind had yet again taken. The woman would be the death of me.

I shook my head, needing to dispel whatever forbidden thoughts were looming. I had far too much to do today to risk getting caught up in lustful fantasies of a certain Miss Kimberly Howard, including a meeting with Anabel to discuss some details for the wedding. As a matter of fact I was expecting her to arrive within the next hour or so, but I hadn't yet decided on if I'd meet with her here like usual or try a different approach and take her to lunch. Maybe if tried to stir a bit of romance with Anabel, Kim wouldn't have such a powerful effect on me.

Forty-five minutes later, I was still undecided about my plan of action when the very redhead who haunted my every waking thought and who was most definitely not my fiance, came waltzing through the door carrying what looked like food cartons. My stomach took a dive in what could either be the anticipation for food or masochistic eagerness to see what Kimberly would do to torment me next.

I couldn't muster up the least bit of shame at the way my heart leapt at the mere sight of her. Mio dio, the woman was unstoppable. How on earth had she not only found me here but also gotten into my office without anyone feeling the need to inform me. The entire building was secured by the best trained armed security forces Had she somehow infiltrated my staff and turned them against me?

She wasted no time in taking advantage of my momentary distraction, she crossed the room and quickly settled herself on my lap.

"Hi sweetie," she greeted, as she lightly kissed my lips.

I drew in a sharp breath at the warmth that infused my body the moment our lips met and wished to hell that I could have resisted her but the woman always managed to blind side me. How could I avoid her when I couldn't even keep track of her movements?

Sighing in frustration and defeat, I crushed her lips against mine, tired of fighting what my body and soul so desperately craved. Her surprised gasp was muffled beneath my lips as I took the opportunity to taste her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and sighed in contentment as our lips continued their fluid dance. Surely something this perfect couldn't be wrong. Maybe marrying a woman I felt nothing for was the wrong course of action in this situation. Maybe-

"What on earth is this?" A deep, heavily accented and unfortunately quite familiar male voice demanded.

I reluctantly pulled away from Kimberly to face my newest guest. It was irrational of me to be so annoyed by the interruption. Considering that I wasn't supposed to be doing this to begin with but regardless of that fact, I was.

Standing at my office door were none other than Anabel and her father, Constantine Abruzzo. Before I could stop myself I chuckled aloud at the rotten irony of the situation. Of all the persons that could possibly have walked in on us at that particular moment of intimacy, it just had to be them.

I didn't doubt for a second that Signor Abruzzo would be furious at my blatant act of infidelity. Seeing no possible way of diffusing the situation, I thought it prudent to simply let out all the bad news at once. I hadn't made the decision until the moment I decided to share it, but for the first time since Kimberly stormed into my life I wasn't doubtful at all that it was the right thing to do.

"Signor Abruzzo, due to an unexpected complication, I think it would be best, for everyone, if I called off the wedding. I must apologize for any resulting inconvenience."

Not that an apology will soften the blow, I thought to myself as I mentally braced for the imminent backlash of my impulsive decision.

Pink faced with anger, he turned and stormed out of the room, dragging a silently stunned Anabel behind him. The next few days were going to be a disaster of the most epic proportions.