three

The Kismet soldiers forced Chase and his acquaintances down a sketchy path that had been carved into the side of another cliff bordering the quarry. Chase winced as the point of a rifle prodded his back.

''Watch it,'' he hissed.

''Say one more thing and I'll blow your head off your shoulders.''

That was the last time he talked back. Now, he wasn't usually a wimp, but if his life was kind of on the line. And he kind of liked living. So, he made the executive decision to keep his mouth shut.

Pebbles fell off the edge of the ridge the group soldiers and their captured victims navigated across. Chase gulped and forced himself to look forward. He feared if he glanced over the edge, which was too close to his feet for his liking, he would accidentally fall and meet his demise.

Quite frankly, he wasn't ready to die.

An uncomfortable rubbing sensation plagued his wrists, which were bound together by silver handcuffs. They weren't like the restraints police officers used. Instead, they were black, sleek, and controlled remotely. There was no way he'd be able to slip out of them without cutting his hands off.

After they all successfully made it down into the quarry, the six teenagers were herded through the excavation ground. They passed by the hulking drills pulverizing the stone ground. In some of the deeper pits, Chase could make out the red glow of whatever it was Kismet was collecting. Desperately wishing he could block out the shrill sounds of the mining equipment, he grit his teeth and continued walking towards wherever it was they were being taken to.

No one spoke. Everyone was too terrified and shocked to even say anything.

Stella cried quietly while Emily staggered forward with a deep scowl on her mauve-painted lips. The others wore expressions mixed with shock and horror. Chase noticed Theo's lip quivering as the boy frantically searched around himself. It also seemed like he was hyperventilating.

Chase's eyes widened. If Theo didn't get access to his inhaler soon, there was a high chance he could suffocate.

He stopped walking and turned around. ''My friend can't breathe. You need to help him— ''

The guard behind him forced him back forward and shoved him for extra measure. ''Keep moving, kid.''

Looking over his shoulder while doing as he was told, he tried getting the man to listen to him. He didn't have any luck, as the mercenary continued to ignore him. Still trying to help, Chase gave Theo a few words of encouragement and promised him he'd be alright. It seemed to help his panic attack a bit because he slowly began breathing normally, albeit a bit heavier than usual.

After what felt like an eternity, they an area in the center of the quarry. A couple of the vehicles were parked in a circular formation. One van sat parked in the center of the circle. Multiple computer screens were built into its side. An older man with a silver ponytail clad in a stark white suit stood in front of them, his hands clasped behind his back as he analyzed the information on the displays.

The Kismet guards ordered them all to stop walking and the soldier with the sword walked over to the him.

''Kane.''

''Apex.'' Kane glanced at the six teenagers before him. ''I see you succeeded.''

''They didn't put up much of a fight,'' Apex noted. He locked eyes with Chase for split second.

Suddenly, the blond had the strong urge to punch the guy in his face. Fortunately for Apex, he was still handcuffed.

Kane tapped the silver band coiled around his finger. ''Good. We don't need any unnecessary casualties tonight.''