33. Mate

33. Mate: Xander's Pov

Chapter Goal (for an early chapter, I have a lot of time to write since it's summer for me): 2k votes

QOTC- who's checked out my other werewolf book, Josephine's Secret?

*this chapter is kind of short, but A LOT OF YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THE BRODY ACTION IN THIS

"You should've just told me that you wanted water." I shake my head, watching as she quickly gulps down her third water bottle. "Do you want another one?"

"No thank you." she replies.

"Why didn't you just tell me that you were thirsty?" I ask. Apparently Charlotte was really thirsty and it was affecting her ability to speak, but she didn't ask me for water or anything. It wasn't until a nurse brought some in that she finally spoke up about being thirsty.

"I didn't want to be needy and make you get things for me."

"Asking for water isn't being needy!" I tell her, trying my best to hide my frustration. There's a pattern in Charlotte and I's relationship; one of us screws up or doesn't say something, the other gets mad, one of us starts crying, and then we learn something about each other. I want our relationship to not have this continuous pattern.

She just said that she didn't ask for water because she didn't want to be needy. Charlotte isn't needy, she likes to push certain things away thinking that she's asking for too much or that she doesn't need something when she actually does. All of this niceness is starting to frustrate me.

"You are my mate." I remind her. "That means that I'll do anything for you and get you the things that you need. All you have to do is ask."

"Sorry-"

"Don't apologize." I cut her off. A few seconds after I finish my sentence, I realize how much of an ass I'm being towards Charlotte. "Sorry, sweetheart."

"It's fine." she whispers, her voice no longer hoarse like it was before she drank water. "Did something bad happen when I was asleep?"

"No." I truthfully answer.

"A-Are you mad at me?"

Charlotte's Pov

"No, sweetheart, I'm not." Xander tells me, pressing his lips to the back of my hand. "I've just been really stressed without you."

"Oh." I nod, trying to clear my mind of bad thoughts and memories.

Flashback

"Your punishment is over." Alpha Jones calls out from the packhouse. I slowly try to lift myself off of the ground and limp over to him. After having to sleep outside in the cold for two weeks straight, all I want is to feel warm. The attic that I stay in doesn't have any air conditioning, but I get to feel the heater in the packhouse as I walk to my living area.

"Th-Thank you, A-Alpha." I stutter, my teeth chattering from the cold.

All of a sudden, I find myself back on the dirty ground, the bottom of my Alpha's shoe pressed into the small of my back. "What was that?" he glares at me and applies more force with his foot when I don't answer fast enough.

"Thank you, Alpha Jones." I correct my previous words. No matter how long or harsh my "punishment" is for misbehaving, I always have to recite the same four words once it's over; "Thank you, Alpha Jones."