No One Won Today (Barton/Rogers x reader) (Civil War Spoilers)

Civil War Spoilers below

When Steve raised his web-covered hands into the air and an arrow shot through them to break him free, your heart sank and your anger began to boil. This wasn't supposed to become a fight, and now that it had, you were suddenly much less concerned with the issues that brought you here. Working your way through the group, you managed to get Steve backed into a corner and your arm tightly around his throat.

"You called Clint?" you hissed at Steve, seeing him now only through anger and resentment with no way that you would ever see his side. Even now, you were trying to give him the benefit of the doubt; trying to understand his point of view, and honestly, you did understand a great deal of it. But pulling Clint into his team broke any chance that you would continue working to be a mediator between the groups. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"I'm not doing anything to you, (Y/N)," he replied coolly through grunting as he tried to flip you from his back. "He's decided to stand with the side that's right."

"No, you were just able to get him on the phone first."

"You're not giving your own boyfriend much credit."

"I'm giving you even less."

"(Y/N)," Steve panted, finally dropping you onto your back and turning to look down at you, "you know I wouldn't do this if I had any other choice."

"Actually, Steve, the longer this goes on, the less and less I know about you." You stood with a groan and shook off the pain that gripped you from the impact on the hard tarmac, "for all I know, next thing you'll be telling me is that you've been with Hydra this whole time."

"Well, that's a little extreme..." he paused, turning to see Clint running towards the two of you. "Go," he commanded, waiting for you to run, "I don't want you to fight each other."

"No, you go. You go straight to hell, Rogers."

Steve simply nodded and ran in the other direction, pausing to give Clint an order before he continued on to meet with you. "You okay?" he asked almost frantically, instinctively reaching out to you, but you snapped your arm away with a huff of disgust at him.

"What are you doing here? You told me that you were retired and didn't want to be a part of this anymore. Were you lying to me?"

"Of course not! Cap needed my help, so I'm helping."

"Maybe I needed your help too! Did you stop to consider that now we're on opposite sides here?"

Clint looked out at the fighting spread out across the airport, finding Wanda tossing vehicles at Rhodey but she didn't have any backup and he wanted to get to her. "I didn't think of that, no," he conceded. "So what? Does that mean you're gonna kick my ass now?"

"I'm not gonna fight you, Clint," you sighed, looking over his shoulder to see Peter starting to struggle with Steve. "It's not your ass that I want to kick." Before you could get more than a few steps away, he grabbed your arm and spun you to look at him again.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). This isn't how this was supposed to go." His grip tightened and he flipped you onto the ground, holding his bow against your chest. "But I can't let you stop him. There are things going on here that are bigger than either of us. You know that Cap is doing what's right."

Your heart began to race with a fear of what was happening; not that Clint was fighting you, because you knew that you could take him if you wanted to, but that he was making the decision to fight you at all. "Apparently there a lot of things that I don't know, Clint."

"Look, I don't want to fight you either, (Y/N). I'm just keeping you from getting to him." He let up on his pressure a bit and you saw your opportunity to escape. "But...we're still us...right?"

"Depends on what you do next," you replied. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," you smiled, bringing your knee to his groin and dropping him flat onto the ground. When he couldn't get up to stop you, you stood just in time to see the quinjet take off over head with Steve and Bucky fleeing the fight, the roar of the plane masked only by the oncoming screams of police sirens.

"I'm so sorry," you repeated, kneeling down next to him. "but you know that I don't have a choice here. You broke the law and my hands are tied." You couldn't look him in the eye as they put the cuffs around his wrists and took him away, and no matter how many times he called out to you that he was sorry and that he loved you, you had to keep your distance and keep your stance with Tony.

And you did exactly that, right up until the day you helped Steve break his team out of the Raft.

"(Y/N), what are you doing here?" Clint gasped at the sight of you opening his cell. "You can't do this. I don't want you to put yourself at risk too. I chose this."

"Yeah, and so did I. I'm not about to let my boyfriend go on the run without me," you chuckled, smiling at the sensation of him next to you as he gripped you in a hug that nearly took the breath from your chest. "I've never been a fugitive before. It sounds exciting!"

"So you and Cap worked out your differences?"

"Yeah, we're just peachy," Steve snorted from behind you, coming from the shadows to show Clint the vibrant black eye you had given him. "Totally BFF's."

"Hey," you huffed, "you called me."

"Yes, and it's the last time that I call either of you for anything."