Chapter Fifty

In the morning, Alex set off early to hike through the jungle. With so many repeated trips, a small path had been carved out. By now, she had a routine and was growing accustomed to surviving on her own. She was kept alive by the fresh water source she had found on her first day and the dry space food, which was quickly dwindling.

Every day, she would explore a new part of the island in search of food. She supplemented her diet with different varieties of berries that she had discovered along the way, but it was not enough to maintain her required caloric intake. She was losing weight and each day her health was deteriorating as her body was feeling the effects of poor nutrition, a lack of oxygen-infused sleeping, and her illness. The nosebleeds had yet to stop and were becoming more frequent.

Along her travels, she would routinely stop and observe the many unusual plants, bugs, and small critters she encountered. It was one way to keep her mind occupied, but it also created an opportunity to learn about some rare species up close.

When she finally reached the waterfall, she was exhausted, much more so than on previous days. She stopped for a long rest and a quick dip in the waters. She told herself the water had magical healing powers that would restore her health and bring her vitality. It was of course an absurd notion, but if she truly believed it, perhaps her brain would send signals to her body to heal itself.

She had a powerful belief system that had proven to be effective in the past and accomplished feats that science could not yet explain.

At dusk, Alex made a fire and sat on the sandy beach, watching the sun make its descent. In those moments, she reflected on all the events in her life that led her to being where she was. She thought about her friends and family, who were on the other side of the planet, and wondered if they were thinking about her.

When the sun finally rested below the horizon, Alex climbed into the cabin of the small craft and sealed the hatch. There was something very psychologically satisfying about being sealed in there – she was protected from the elements and away from any creepy-crawlies. She leaned back in her seat and stared up at the starry sky. Living in a light-polluted metropolis had robbed her of this experience for so many years. Now she had a chance to marvel at the grandness and beauty of the cosmos.

The next morning, Alex felt vastly worse than the days prior. She began her day by entering the jungle just like she had done so many times before. On her way up to the waterfall, she barely had the strength and collapsed several times. As she struggled up the mountain, her head felt light and disorientated. It bobbled around her thin neck and her bony shoulders. The dense leaves overhead provided her with shade from the sun, but it was still muggy. The thick air was difficult to breathe and at times she felt as though it was suffocating her. In the distance, birds and other jungle animals squawked, almost as if they were mocking her.

Her stomach growled loudly and all she could think about was food. She shuffled through the twigs and fallen leaves that littered the forest floor as she could barely lift her feet. When she eventually arrived at the pond, she collapsed and had to drag herself across the dirt the rest of the way. Inch by inch, she crawled forward until her unrecognizable face reflected back off the glassy water. Her muscles shook relentlessly as she lowered her face to the water and began to drink. If tomorrow ever came for her, she would certainly not have the strength to make it back up there. She knew this would be her final trip to the sacred waters that had failed to restore her health. Without fresh water, it was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened.

Why is the universe so cruel to good people? she wondered.

Even with her mental faculties seriously impaired, Alex knew she had a choice to make. She could either remain by the pond and be close to a fresh water source, or trudge back through the jungle and down to the ship. The hike would certainly be her last, but she could at least have shelter and one last meal.

The hours ticked by, which felt like days. She had worked up an incredible fever, made worse by the scorching sun. For the next few hours, she positioned herself up against a rock by the pond, convinced it would be her final spot of rest.

Alex laid back and stared up and the beautiful blue sky that she had revealed. High overhead, a vulture circled, signifying the end was near. As she drifted in and out of consciousness, her weak and dehydrated body clung to the last scraps of life. It was only a matter of time until she met her demise.