𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. NO MORE HEARTBREAKS

˖*°࿐chapter twenty nine

˖chapter twenty nine.
xxix. NO MORE HEARTBREAKS

———

janelle

"Kai, I don't think this is a good idea," I repeated for the eleventh time as he continued to get dressed in his attire for the day. "I mean, I get that you want to make amends with Bonnie, but this might not be the way to do it."

"Is this your way of telling me you don't trust your own friends?" He smirked up at me, and I pouted.

"I do trust them. I just don't trust their intentions with you. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want you to bring Lily back, although, I hope it's working. . . I just want to make sure you come back in one piece."

Over time, I have warmed up to Kai. He's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Sure, he has his flaws, but so do I.

I'm not gonna judge Kai for the things he's done in the past because I know I'm not any better. My body count is through the roof. And while he may not regret what he's done as much as I do, I know deep down he's just as misunderstood as the rest of us.

"Janelle, I'll be fine," Kai assured me with a chuckle. "Don't be such a worry-wart."

"Well, I can't help it that I'm a worry-wart," I exclaimed, throwing my hands up to express my frustration. "I worry about a lot of things, especially the people I care about."

Kai suddenly stopped whatever it was he was doing to look up at me. There a slight glint in his eyes. "You care about me?" he asked.

"I've always cared about you," I replied. "Maybe not as much in the beginning, but I've realized, even when I was at my worst, or when I was going through that pain of losing everything, the only person who stayed by my side was you."

"Janelle, I would go to the ends of the earth for you. You know that."

"I do," I nodded, bringing myself closer to Kai. "And I also know that you're in love with me. And that it wasn't fair of me to erase you from my life because I couldn't handle losing you. I feel horrible about it, and I wish I could take it back, but-"

"So take it back," he said.

"What?" I tried to laugh.

"Call up the vamp in the suit and tell him you want your memories back," Kai said in a more serious tone this time.

"Whoa, Kai. Slow down," I put my hands on his chest to bring his attention towards me. "I do want to remember you and what we had, but I need you to understand that I'm not ready to jump into a relationship right this second."

"But you just said that you —"

"Kai," I whispered, getting his eyes to focus my own. "I promise you, one of these days I will take my memories back. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, but I will. If you really do love me, then you'll give me time."