eighteen

after thinking about my dad's words for what felt like eternity, i decide to ring jack. i just need reassurance that he's serious about us. i may be an idiot for feeling even a little bit insecure about our relationship.

it isn't the most perfect, normal relationship after all.

"hey, baby, now is not a really good time." jack rushes through the line after answering the phone call.

my eyebrows pull together in confusion, "why is that?"

i don't mean to come off rude and nosy or a crazy girlfriend, but what could he possibly be doing besides playing video games with the guys? on second thought, i miss the house.

"i'm busy." he hesitates in response.

his voice is more strained. that makes me grow even more confused.

"i need to talk to you about something. it's about li-"

"jack gilinsky!" i hear a familiar female voice shriek in the background. "are you seriously on the phone while we're discussing about our relationship?"

the pitch and words suddenly alert me. i can't just assume that he's cheating on me because i believe he wouldn't do that... right? plus, the girl's tone was a very unhappy one.

"you are busy, aren't you?" i hum quizzically.

"no, baby, it's not like that."

"it's fine, jack." i bite out a sarcastic laugh. "i just want to know why the fuck ciara is with you."

"i don't know, she just showed up-"

he's cut off and i hear a glass breaking voice through the call. i hold my phone a good foot away from my ear and i can still hear you.

"jack and i are busy." she emphasizes. "i don't know why the hell he's calling you baby, maybe he's hooked up with you while i was out of the country, but i've been back and there's no need for you."

i'm taken aback by her words. then, something in my stomach turns with disgust. the image of jack pushing her up against the wall comes to mind. i don't think i can ever forget that.

that was almost traumatic. not being able to take it anymore, i hang up the phone and toss it across the leather couch. fortunately, it's screen is faced down so i won't be able to see if he urgently and desperately calls back.

i stare at the box in my lap. is it so bad that i'm even considering this? my intentions aren't to be one of those girls whose boyfriends do something they don't like, behind their back so they go running to another guy.

i let out a loud, frustrated sigh and slouch my back against the padded couch. so much for trying to get some reassurance. what's better than your boyfriends ex taking over the phone call? jabbing some pretty hurtful words.

i dig through the box, in hopes of finding something other than a note, cash, and bracelet. maybe even just so,etching contact him like a - phone number! ten digits are written across the back of the note and my eyes widen in excitement.

finally, some way to contact him. i scramble to reach for the phone, looking at the screen. there are two missed calls from jack on it, but i ignore them. i'll contemplate whether or not if i want to call him back.