22; Catalogues, intelligence, and love

Violet

I don't know what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it, but I know that it feels so right. Zayn's surprising me. I thought I knew him; but I don't. This whole night, it's been ... fun. And I'm really starting to enjoy Zayn's company. There's a warning sign going off in my head, but I don't listen. After all, what's the worse that can happen tonight? It's only one night, only one night I'll be trapped on the fifth floor of Harrods with Zayn Malik. I might as well enjoy it.

I don't know what the time is, but I know it's late. It has to be. It feels like we've been in here for hours. And I'm starting to think that Zayn's right. No one cares about us. We could be missing for days and the school would just take our names off the roll, or probably not even do that. I wonder if Liam even knows I'm missing. Did he walk to my dorm, or get worried when Avery and Niall returned and I didn't? Surely he must have. And his phone will be flat, or lying around somewhere. Because I know Liam, and I know he's not usually like this. I know him.

I'm busy reading the Harrods catalogue, a stray one I found behind the counter, when I hear music coming from Zayn's side. We'd been sitting in silence for a while and so to hear any kind of noise, let alone music, surprises me. I look over at him and see him listening to his MP3 player.

"What the hell?" I ask, a little louder than intended.

His eyes glance up at me and he turns his music down a little. "What?"

"What are you doing?" Where did that come from?

He looks at me blankly. "Listening to music?"

"You mean you've had that the whole time?"

He shrugs. "Yeah?"

"You brought that, but not your phone?" Useless. Totally useless.

He takes one headphone out. "Even if I did bring my phone, it'd have been no help. I don't have anyone's numbers."

I hold my head back and sigh. "Of course not," I say.

"Hey, hold on. What's that supposed to mean?" He snaps.

"It's supposed to mean that you're useless," I reply, focusing back on the catalogue.

"Oh, that's rich coming from you," he says.

"Excuse me?" My eyes focus back towards him.

"What kind of person doesn't have a cell phone?" He cries. "Who even are you?"

"I don't like that kind of stuff," I tell him casually.

"What? Survival?"

"How was I to know we were gonna get stuck up here?" I shoot. "It was your fault, remember?"