5. Serial killers and Wet Willies

Chapter 5

            Stuffing the crumpled bio paper into my pocket, I grit my teeth, scanning the empty parking lot to weigh my options.

            Option 1: go home and face the raving pack of wolves (aka my family)

            Option 2: Find Coda and risk a head decapitation

            Option 2 seemed like the better option....

            Of course option two was the better option the only question was how I would be able to find him.

            That little boy scout was out of the question.

            My shoulders slump in defeat as I trudge through the parking lot, the heat pounding down on my back.

            Walking aimlessly in the direction away from my house, I didn't even fully realize where my feet were taking me until I stubbed my toe on the curb.

            "Ow," I hiss, hopping on one foot.

            Stopping, I realized that I had an audience.

            Facing a dozen car workmen, they all stare at me blankly.

            "Hey," I mumble, half waving.

            I knew most of them but there were a few faces I didn't recognize.

            In big letters, Reed's Car shop is displayed for all the world to see. Somehow, I had walked myself over to my dad's work.

            Stepping into the garage, spaces and spaces of slots with cars in them line the area. Men from all ages crowd around a specific car. Some were lying on their back, fixing the bottom of the car while others were perched inside the truck, fixing something inside.

            Regardless, the smell of oil and gasoline fills my nostrils and I breathe it in.

            I've been smelling this stuff all my life.

            Unlike Jeremy and Gwen, my father's been bringing me to work since the moment I took my first step.

            "Haz! Long time no see!" Will, my dad's closest friend bellows.

            He slicks his hands down the front of his jeans, the grease sliding right off. Sweat drips down his face and his belly sticks out a bit.

            "Hey Uncle Will," I say, approaching him.

            Grinning, I move in for a hug but Will backs up.

            "Whoa there kido, you wouldn't want old man sweat on you," He chuckles.

            I pout, placing my hands on my hips. "It's okay, I think I can make an exception for the world's best godfather."

            He laughs a deep and rumbling laugh, grabbing me round the back of the neck to capture me in a knuckle sandwich.

            "Uncle Will!" I yell, squinting my eyes as my hair turns into a static mess.

            He ony laughs.

            "William!" A new voice yells across the garage. I see a few people look up from their work, a smirk on their face as they watch us.