ROBIN

There are seven of us. We've managed to stay hidden from the government our whole lives. The only reason we've probably managed to do that is because I'm the only one who knows of our abilities, and even then I don't even know that for sure.

   I am air; I am earth and its metals. I am water; I am fire. I am the controller of plants; I am the creator of force fields and electricity.

   In short, I'm Robin.

   I'm the only one who is all. I'm the only me...until I die, of course. The others are only one of each.

   Confused? You'll understand later.

  We...the seven of us...whoever they/we may be...are the elements...and their controllers...

   We shouldn't be living a normal life. But we are, because the other option is being imprisoned.

   And probably also getting killed, too, while we're at it.

   I'm writing this so that, if government agents break down the walls of the gym during your P.E. class, you'll know what to do.

   After all, you don't want to end up at the Lab.

   Trust me on that.

"Final exams," I whisper to my friend, Emma, who sits next to me on the floor of the gymnasium, "always make me so nervous. I mean look at the coach, just towering over us as she watches our every move. Judging our final grade on what we do today, right now."

   "I wasn't nervous before," Emma mutters, "but now I am. So thanks a lot, Robin."

   I laugh. "Sorry," I say, "but it's how I feel. It's the truth, too. It's just a lot of pressure."

   Emma's green eyes look straight into my own dark brown ones. "If I fail this, I'm blaming you," she says. She pulls her blonde hair up into a ponytail and I do the same as she adds, "And if I go to Tier Two, you're definitely coming with me."

   "Nah," I say, "I don't think—"

   "Listen up!" Coach Ram yells, cutting me off mid-sentence. "This is your final exam! We are not doing stretches today, because you'll need all of your energy to run, run, run! I want you to do your very best! Do you hear me? Your very best! If you don't do your very best, you will not pass the final exam! Do you understand?"

   "Yes, Coach," everyone says in unison.

   "Good!" Coach Ram yells. "Now get out there and run, run—"           

   He's interrupted by a sudden, very loud crash; everyone turns to look at the giant, gaping hole in the outside wall. Nobody screams, which is a miracle. I squint my eyes and try to get a better look. When I see the government agents walking through the giant hole, I almost scream.

   Crap! I think. I look around for any way to escape, but I only see the emergency exit doors, which were nearly destroyed by whatever made the hole, and the normal enter/exit doors. My only option is to exit through the normal doors; I'll go if they start coming towards me... Wait, why are they walking away?

   I watch as three government men pull out their badges and show them to Coach Ram, who looks both angry and impressed. He yells at them about busting down the wall, but calms down when they say that they'll have it paid for.

   "Why the heck are you here, then?" Coach Ram bellows. "You could've used the front door, or the office door, but instead you have to go busting down the gym's wall! I don't understand you people!"