Bad Boy Love ~ Part 42

"What?" I stutter as I step out of the car. My skin goes cold. The blood rushes out of me.

"I love you. I'm coming home. Pack your things." A sound of a man talking in the background distracts me. "I have to go. I'll see you in two days. Happy New Year," my mother says before hanging up abruptly.

I stare down at my phone as I try to process what just happened.

My mom is coming home.

I'm moving back home.

I won't be living with Jake anymore.

I close my car door and look up at Jake's house with a pale face. I won't have time to fix us.

I slowly walk into the house and look around. Peering in every direction for Jake.

"Maya?" Carrie's voice calls from the kitchen.

"Yeah?" I yell out as I walk towards her voice.

"Did you get a call from your mom?" She asks as I turn the corner and see her washing dishes.

"I did. She's coming back," I say as I sit on the barstool.

"I'll help you pack, if you want. It was really, really great having you." She smiles at me as she dries her hands off on a dishrag.

"I'll be fine, thanks. I just didn't realize she would be coming back so soon," I say quietly.

"I didn't either," Carrie trails off.  "I wonder why? It's so sudden."

I simply shrug my shoulders as I pop a raspberry in my mouth. "Probably something she won't tell me," I mumble to myself.

We sit in silence for a moment as she dries the pots and pans from this morning's breakfast.

"How was your night?" She asks as she continues to dry the dishes.

"Fun," I huff. "Eventful."

"Doesn't sound very fun," she frowns as she looks at me. "What happened? You were at a party, right?"

"Yeah," I mumble. "I'm okay, I just really messed up." I say as I twirl a piece of my hair around my finger. "Is Jake home?" I ask as I tear my eyes from my twirling.

"Yeah, he's asleep in his bed. He came in really early this morning and didn't say anything. Just collapsed on his bed and slept. Is everything okay with you two?"

I sigh as I gaze around at the kitchen. "No. Honestly, no. And it's all my fault. That's how I messed up."

Carrie's eyes go big as she sets down the dish towel. "What happened?" She says with a concerned tone.

Am I really gonna tell her how I cheated on her son, but that I still love him?

That sounds even more fucked up than I predicted.

"I-" I start, but Sam interrupts me by running into the room.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Spike is tearing up the bedroom!" Sam yells loudly.

"What?" Carrie booms as she rushes to the bedroom. "Spike! No!" I hear her say from the bedroom.

I exhale slowly. Thank God Spike is a chewer. Otherwise, I would have just walked into a very awkward conversation that I'm not ready for, yet.

I stand from the stool and walk towards the staircase. I tiredly climb up the stairs and pass Jake's room. I stop in front of his door and rest my hand on the handle.