Somebody Else

// A D A M S P O V //

"Have you seen Claire's new boyfriend? He's well fit." I heard two girls I'd never seen before gossip beside me at the bar. Everything's all right when your girlfriend and you share mutual friends until you split. Then the constant updates, gossip, and 'did you hear's starts to eat at you when your wishing it was you. Switching my empty beer for a full one I distanced myself from the girls. It was starting to get pathetic, the way I couldn't let her go. George had shown me a picture of her and her new boyfriend innocently. I didn't want to believe she'd moved on until the one snapshot of them sitting together escalated into one of them holding hands, kissing, cliche poses, etc.
I had no right to be upset, I ended things. I mean, I had to. The lads and I were coming up on a huge, basically nonstop, tour that would go on for well over a year. I couldn't be there for her, she deserved someone who could. That didn't mean it didn't still kill me to know she was with somebody else.

The going away party that was currently being held at Matty's mum's, even though we all voted against it, was in full swing. Friends, family, laughter, and drinks, everywhere. I was situated against the wall, drinking my beer, trying to get my mind right. The comment that those girls made had thrown me for a loop, I couldn't stop picturing her and her new boyfriend. Trying to use the beer in my hand to blur the mental image wasn't helping.

"Aye, Mate." I turned to see George beside me. A goofy smile on his face as always, a red cup in hand.

"What's up, George." His happy demeanor momentarily making me feel better. He put his arm around me, laughing to himself yet causing me to laugh as well.

"You need to let loose. Stop being a wall flower." He started to pull me forward yet stopped as we all heard a dominant voice even over the booming music.

"There she is!" I heard Denise shout rather loudly. She was an expressive person as is but after a drink or two that expressive attitude got more exaggerated. It was was easy to see how Matty was her offspring. Taking in the scene at hand, I wish I hadn't. There she was, embracing Mattys mum, her new guy right beside her. Denise happily spoke with her for a moment before jetting off back into the party. I was so entranced I hadn't noticed George had left me completely. I watched as she glanced around the room, what's his name grabbing her hand actually making me feel sick. I hated seeing her with someone that wasn't me. This was the first time I was seeing her in a while. After we broke up, things went cold. We completely lost touch.

As she glanced around the room once more, our eyes met. I visibly noticed she caught her breath. Seeing her there, staring at me, it reminded me of the way she looked at me that last night.

It was late, I'd had quite a few drinks with the lads, had I not I would've waited to show up to her place until morning. Yet felt the sudden dire need to get the last of my things from her flat right this minute. Knocking on her door with enough force to get her attention, yet trying to not be a complete drunken asshole. It took a moment before she opened the door. She held it open just enough for me to see she was in pajamas but not entirely inviting me in.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was soft, almost as though Id woken her but I knew her, she'd been drinking too.

"I came to get my things." I stepped forward slightly hoping she'd move to let me in; she did.

"Gimme a sec." She disappeared down the hall to her bedroom. I stood in the middle of the room noticing that the picture she had framed of us still sat on the table, beside an almost empty bottle of wine.

"Here's some." She tossed a pile that was composed of mostly clothes, along with a CD or two, onto the sofa before disappearing again. I made a lazy attempt to organize it as she came back; my fano in hand. She placed that too on the couch before handing me a box she seemed to pull out of no where. The alcohol not making processing the situation any helpful. As I began to put my things in the box I could feel her eyes on me. Out of my peripheral vision I noticed her move, then her hand was on my back, her chin resting on my shoulder.

"Cmon baby," her arms had wrapped around my torso as she was hugging me from behind. The clingy behavior only a side effect of the alcohol.

"I don't.." She paused, causing me to turn to face her and resulting in breaking her embrace. Although she remained close as her face contorted in thought as if she was struggling to find the proper words.

"This ain't the last time that I'll see your face." She whispered, bringing her hand up to touch my cheek. My head was starting to spin from the earlier drinks so without much thought I leaned into her touch. She pulled me towards her while simultaneously leaning upwards as she was at least a head shorter than me. It felt like we were in slow motion that stopped once our lips met. A kiss filled with raw hard impaired emotion. Neither of us particularly in a right mind, as she pushed into me I fell onto the couch as the kiss continued. She was in my lap and just as pulled her closer I had a moment of clarity causing me to push her away.

"We can't do this." I tried but she acted as though she couldn't hear me and leaned back in. Dodging her lips, she looked at me with hurt in her eyes.

"You're seriously doing this?" Averting her eyes was enough to give her an answer. Moving off of me, she stood before me with her arms crossed shaking her head. I got up and finished packing what was mine. Basically throwing it all into the box and grabbing my fano, I headed to the door.

"It's just what's best.." I tried to ease her mind but the look on her face said it would take a lot more.

"I'll find someone to take your place" she spit at me.

I couldn't believe she really had it in her, yet here we were. At this party, her hand in someone's that wasn't mine. She gave me a small, toothless smile that I didn't return. Instead I walked off to find the guys. Heading outside I figured one of them would be out for a fag, and I needed air. Right as I was, Matty and George were on the patio smokes and drinks littered between them.

"How ya holdin' up?" George asked, lifting the lit fag to his lips to take a drag.

"I should be getting over it. " I shrugged, taking a large swig of the remainder of my beer.

"Get someone you love? Get someone you need? FUCK THAT GET MONEY!" Matty shouted, holding his drink up as if to make a toast before doing a drunk twirl.

"We're going on tour, mate!" Not really interested in what he had to say I glanced in at the party once more. I immediately spotted her as she was glancing at her phone screen before she took his hand and they walked off out of view.