01|CONEY ISLAND

Undoubtedly, the single trip to Coney Island to repay Ally for her kind deed was soon turned into a once a month, weekend trip. Not that it bothered Ally, she enjoyed riding the Ferris Wheel and had grown very fond of the small boy she saved in the alley, along with his equally as handsome best friend.

One afternoon in particular, on their usual Saturday outing, Ally strutted her white monochrome flats and navy neckerchief just a little further up the road from where Bucky and Steve were. A single piece of pink candy floss was stuck to the roof of her mouth as she carelessly took huge strides towards the large body of water surrounding the amusement park.

"Come on doll," Ally heard Bucky yell from behind her. "Ya' can't let us catch up?"

She tipped her navy sunglasses to the bridge of her nose. "Why don't you run a little Buck? It's good for your health."

Steve shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets. "She's got us beat Bucky, she knows we won't run."

"So you think you know everything then?" Bucky questioned, keeping his blue eyes on the twirling girl in front of him.

"I don't think I know everything, I know that I know everything."

Unexpectedly, Bucky took off running in her direction, causing Ally to lose her balance and trip over her own feet. A toothy-smile appeared on her face and she screamed as Bucky came barreling towards her. "James!"

He hauled her over his shoulder, spinning around as Ally repeatedly hit his back, trying to get him to put her down. "Did you see that one coming?"

"Absolutely-" she huffed. "Not."

A powerful laugh erupted from the depths of Bucky's stomach as he put Ally down, attempting to comb the locks of hazel hair that escaped her updo with his fingers. His captivating eyes were focused on fixing her hair, a beautiful blue that got him out of any trouble. "Well, it doesn't look horrible."

"You're unbelievable," she glared at him. "I spent a good time on my hair this morning."

"You poor thing."

Ally pouted her lip, jutting her hip to the side. "Well I never," she shook her head, her face becoming cold and unimpressed. "You are such a gentlemen Mr. Barnes, what gal wouldn't want you?"

Bucky's face fell and he immediately tried to apologize. "I'm sorry Ally, you know I was just trying to have some fun."

She started giggling like a little girl, a thing she did a lot when she felt happy. Bucky stopped apologizing, just to get a full show of the beautiful laughter emerging and filling the air with gorgeous sounds, coming from deep within her chest. "How do you spell gullible? B-U-C-K-Y!"

Bucky rolled his eyes, putting a hand through his short hair. "Alright, alright, I get it."

It was the summer of 1941 in Brooklyn, New York. The city was lined up to even get an hour at Coney Island in the blazing August heat. Ally let the rays of sun beat down on her unguarded shoulders. She loved the heat, the summer breeze and the lemonade she'd probably make Steve or Bucky buy.

"You two are still coming to dinner tonight right?" she questioned, twirling a piece of hair around her finger as she found a place on the beach that wasn't crowded. "Mama's makin pizza."

"Wouldn't miss it," Steve grinned, his lanky body taking a seat beside Ally. "Does your mother prefer roses or tulips?"

"Don't flatter her Steven," Ally told him. "She's been real rotten lately, probably because Kep wants to sign up for the war."

"Kepler wants to sign up for the war?" Bucky questioned, his face wary.

"So does Nico, but he's only thirteen," Ally crossed her arms, letting the sun warm her legs. "Then again, every dumb boy wants to shoot some Nazi's for his country."

Steve and Bucky glanced at each other for a second before Bucky changed the subject. "How's your sister doing Ally, you never talk about her much."

"Jojo? Married and rich, that's all I have to say about her. You two were there on her big wedding day, it was the equivalent of a going away party for her. Goodbye and good riddance," that wasn't completely a lie. Jojo was married to a rich man, just not to your typical rich man. "She's always travelling anyways."

"Doesn't she live down the road from you?" Bucky asked. "And don't you look after her kids while she's travelling?"

"Shush Mr. Barnes," Ally put her slender finger to his lips. "This is my big theatrical performance!"

"So dramatic," he scoffed, looking at the body of water in front of him. "Someone put her on Broadway!"

"I'm afraid my claim to fame will have to wait," Ally sighed, opening up her bag of candy floss to get another piece. "Anyways, which one of you will buy me a lemonade?"

"I got it," Bucky announced, sitting up. "Steve can pay for our ride home."

As Bucky left to find a vendor, Ally leant her head on Steve's shoulder. "You better not let him run off to the war," she threatened. "That goes for you too, I don't feel like becoming a widow."

"Isn't a widow-"

"I know what a widow is," she told him. "But they don't have a word for losing your best friends Steve, so I'd just call myself a widow because I ain't anything without you and Buck."

"Men all around the world are joining," Steve comments. "They are cared for just as much as we are. What makes us so different?"

To her own uncomfortable dismay, she too had a reasonable explanation to why she didn't want them to join the war. In some ways, she was being hypocritical- no she was being completely hypocritical. Either way, the last thing she wanted to see was the small boy from Brooklyn and his blue-eyed best friend run off to the war and return in body bags.

She shivered. "I just don't want my boys coming home without their heart beating alright? It's bad enough I gotta worry about Kep and-" she paused, not wanting to unveil a secret she decided to dig deep into the ground. "I just don't want you and Buck joining the army."

Deciding not to bicker anymore, he replied. "I hear you," Steve smiled softly, wrapping his small around her shoulders. "So, does your mom prefer tulips or roses?"

"Roses," she finally told him. "She likes roses."

"And you? What do you like?"

"Surprise me."

Bucky returned with three plastic cups filled to the rim with crystallized yellow liquid. As he made his way to their sandy spot, he fumbled with his steps as he tried to balance all three cups in his arms. "Do you know how difficult it is getting three things of lemonade across the beach?" he questioned, handing Ally and Steve their lemonade. "You sure are something else doll, I spent my last quarter on you."

"I'm flattered Bucky," Steve sent him a smirk. "But it's Ally you should be telling this to."

Bucky rolled his eyes. "Punk."

The nape of Ally's neck was damp as she lifted the ice cold glass of lemonade to her mouth. Although Bucky and Steve seemed to hate it, she was basking in the summer heat. In the end, she only found herself smiling. She looked back at the two boys, her two boys. Everyday was something else with them. Although, this day wasn't over, they still had dinner.

"How do you spell gullible? B-U-C-K-Y!"