Part 1- Chapter 1-The Royalty of Asgard

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never forget."

-Arundhati

*******

Catalina stood in front of her mirror, dropping a couple pairs of earrings and a matching necklace into a pouch. She had been packing all day, arranging clothes and personal things to fit into only two large luggage bags, all while managing to have everything perfectly folded and organised into the pockets.

"How are you getting along in here? The maids told me that you refused their help." Queen Frigga stepped inside, her blue skirts flowing out behind her ad she walked toward her daughter.

"I'm doing fine, I just prefer to do it alone." Catalina took the little pouch of jewelry and tucked it away into a spare pocket.

"How do you feel about leaving?" Frigga handed Catalina her bag of daggers that the princess had acquired over the years.

"Anxious, but I think I will get used to it. Ten years is only a short time." She opened the bag and pulled out the brass handled dagger with her twin brother's name carved in the blade. "What is it like there; is it any different?"

Frigga shook her head, "no, it is more or less the same. Their kingdom is underground."

Catalina turned her knife in her hands, "what are the elves like? Are they the way I imagine?"

Frigga ran a brush through her daughter's dark, copper colored hair, "not at all. They are nowhere near what Foregardian people make them out to be. I always wonder where they get the idea of small elves."

Catalina leaned into each stroke of the brush, "what does their king look like?"

The brush faltered a moment, then went on brushing. "Well, you might say he's handsome. He has long silver-blonde hair, and he is very tall."

"How tall?"

"Taller than your father."
Catalina tiltled her head and looked at her mother through the mirror. Her blue eyes seemed to hold a bit of hurt in them, as if there was something about the elven king that the princess should know.

"What do you think I should wear?" Catalina asked, trying to pull her mother from her moment of remembrance.

"Something that says something about your personality," the queen said, pulling a loose string free from her daughter's cloak.

"My armor of course."

"That is alright, but be careful."

"Why?"

"Men like you in armor." Frigga set the brush down and peered into Catalina's luggage, "I believe you can take a breather from packing. Your brothers have been perishing out there waiting for you."

Catalina smiled and thanked her mother, then raced out the door in a few swift strides. Frigga smiled, shaking her head as she picked up the little brush once again. She touched the butterfly engraved in the head, and a shadow fell over the queen's face. "I wonder if she remembers."