Chapter 2

Kylie POV

Homeroom was basically a twenty minute study hall this late in the year. I made sure that all my homework was done and then I sat and thought about things.

My life was far from ordinary, and Peter was the only person that knew the half of it. He knew my dad worked for SHIELD and that the Avengers were essentially my relatives. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone, but I trusted Peter with my life. And besides, he trusted me with his secret.

Ugh. Why did I have to feel this way about my best friend? I knew almost everything about him, and I knew just how amazing he was. He was so sensitive, sweet, and smart that I wanted to tear my hair out because he'd never like me back. And I know it.

He was desperately in love with Gwen, and after what happened with her father, he couldn't stop feeling guilty. Peter told me about the promise he made to Gwen's father before he died, and I knew that there was no way he would keep it.

As I moped at my desk, hating life, the bell rang and I left for math class. I wasn't in any rush, however. Gwen and Peter sat in front of me in that class.

Just as I'd feared, math class was like watching some cheesy Disney Channel show. Gwen and Peter stole glances at each other whenever they could, and I noticed that Peter even passed her a note. Blech.

For some reason their antics irked me a lot more today than they normally did. I just couldn't get it out of my head that he didn't belong with her. Maybe he didn't exactly belong with me either, but the foreboding sense of dread that was creeping up on me made me on edge. Peter should have kept his promise, I thought to myself.

***********************************

As the bell rang in my AP English 12 class, dismissing us to lunch, I realized that I would be forced to sit with Gwen and Peter yet again. It's not like I had any other friends that I could flee to.

I approached our familiar lunch table and I saw a familiar face staring at me from his seat across the cafeteria. Of course. Flash Thompson. As if I didn't have enough to deal with today without that meathead trying to flirt with me. I mean come on! Today was my birthday! Cut me some slack already!

I could tell he was going to come over here no matter what I did, so I sighed resignedly and sat down. If he was going to annoy me, I was going to be comfortable while he was doing it. Hopefully Peter wouldn't show up in the middle of it this time. Last time Peter intervened he had to explain a black eye to his Aunt May. Although, that was a few months ago, so...

Sure enough, I heard Flash stroll over to me. It was clear that he was trying to appear cool, and it was extremely amusing to watch his failed attempts. I chuckled at his stupidity and he seemed to take it as encouragement.

"Hey there beautiful," Flash drawled.

"Greetings, fellow student," I returned. He knit his eyebrows together in disappointment at my reaction, or lack thereof. I clasped my hands in front of me.

"What can I do for you today?" I asked perkily. I was doing my best receptionist impression in an attempt to drive him off. Why is he even trying?

He smirked. Crap. I gave him an opportunity.

"Actually, if you could, it would be great if you would go out with me," Flash replied. I frowned. That wasn't what I wanted to happen. Oh well, time to be rude.

"Sorry I'm rather busy for the rest of my life. How about I see you in hell?" I shot back with a glare. I swear if he didn't take a hint. I'd been trying to get that message through his thick skull all year. And last year, and the year before that...

Flash's nostrils flared in anger and I wondered if I'd gone too far. He looked seriously pissed. What was with me today? Am I about to start my period or something? I wondered, the prospect making me groan.

"This guy bothering you again, Lee?" I heard Peter ask. Oh crap, Peter. Bad move, man. This was exactly what I didn't want to happen.

"No Pete, I'm fine, Flash was just leaving. Right Flash?" I growled. I glared daggers at him. Flash gulped at me and then turned to Peter where he seemed to find an easier target. Not the best idea on Flash's part, but how was he supposed to know that since the last time he'd bullied Peter, Peter had gotten super everything?

Flash stomped up to Peter and pulled back his right fist. He had no idea what he was getting himself into. I gave Peter a warning look, reminding him that we were still at school. Pete smiled quickly before dodging all of Flash's punches. Flash stopped, dumbfounded at Peter's new reflexes. They weren't really that new—he'd had them for a few months—but Flash hadn't bothered Peter since before Peter was bitten.

Flash shook his head in disbelief, as if he'd imagined it. He then snarled and charged at Peter. Peter smirked and held his arms open wide as Flash barreled towards him. I gasped even though I knew that Flash couldn't hurt Peter if he wanted to.

At the very last second, as Flash dove at him, Peter leaped over him and watched as Flash crashed into one of the cement pillars. He fell back and I noticed that he left a large dent.

I giggled and so did Gwen, who I had just noticed. Peter turned and grinned at us and I clapped sarcastically. The rest of the cafeteria erupted in a mixture of applause and laughter.

"That was great, Peter," Gwen complimented. Peter blushed and scratched the back of his neck. "I should probably go get the nurse and explain what happened before someone else does. They'll believe the story more if it comes from me."

Gwen smiled again and turned to walk off in the direction of the nurse's and principal's respective offices. Peter beamed at her as she walked away, and I internally sighed. I didn't stand a chance against Gwen. Peter adored her. She was his everything, and I would never come close.