chapter 8

Camila is fast asleep in the bottom bunk when Ariana and Lauren enter the dorm.

They don't even notice her at first. It's late at night and they're both too busy laughing over the fact that Lauren almost ran straight into the screen door.

After Camila had stormed off, Lauren had caught up with Ariana. She immediately knew something was wrong by the dark, dark green air she saw surrounding her. So she'd asked if the small girl wanted to accompany her to the library. They ended up getting roped into helping one of the Instructors clean up the lounge, but even then Lauren had found ways to make it fun.

Ariana likes Lauren as a friend. It's nice to have someone besides Camila who treats her like a normal human being. And Lauren doesn't mind that she doesn't talk. It's almost as if Lauren can tell what she's thinking.

"I can't believe I survived my first day at witch camp," Lauren laughs, shaking her head and sitting down on the bottom bunk. She immediately knows something is wrong when the blankets move and suddenly she's thrown off the bed.

"Wha... what the?" Camila bolts upright out of bed. Unfortunately, she forgets that she's on the bottom bunk and her forehead collides with the bottom of Ariana's bed. She curses under her breath and holds both hands against her head.

"Oh my god," Lauren quickly hops back to her feet and glances at Ariana, who is frozen by the door, watching the scene unfold. "I am so sorry, I didn't even know you w—,"

"What are you doing here?" Camila hisses, keeping her voice low. She looks around the room and locks eyes with Ariana, remembering the day's earlier events.

"I-I'll go," Lauren shakes her head and gives Ariana an apologetic smile. Before Camila even has time to think, the green eyed girl is gone.

What is your problem with her?

Camila's head shoots up and she watches as Ariana storms over to stand in front of her bunk. The smaller girl has her arms crossed in frustration.

"She sat on me!" Camila whisper-yells, knowing that if she doesn't keep her voice down that they'll cause a scene. "She sat on me!"

She didn't mean to!

"What time is it even?" Camila huffs, retrieving her phone from under her pillow. She glares at her friend once she checks the time.

I didn't realize how late it was... Ariana bites her lip. Camila senses her friend's sincerity and sighs, flopping back on her bed.

"It took me forever to fall asleep in the first place. I'm never gonna get back to sleep now," the girl sighs. Ariana tilts her head to the side and gently sits on the edge of Camila's bed.

I don't even need to read your thoughts to know you're overthinking the whole specialty thing.

"It's stupid!" Camila huffs, sitting up and crossing her legs underneath her. "Why me? It's not even like I'm a bad student or anything! I work my ass off and I still get a fucking... a fucking block of wood for a wand! And then there's Dinah, who doesn't even try, but even she's doing better than me! How is that fair?"

It's not. Ariana admits, shaking her head. I know I keep telling you that it'll happen eventually, and I know you don't believe me, but trust me. I know it will happen.

"I sure hope so," Camila sighs and shakes her head. "Listen, I didn't mean to snap at y—,"

Ariana shakes her head. I shouldn't have said that. It's fine. Can we watch a movie?

Camila can't help but laugh at her friend's ability to change subjects so quickly. She nods, and soon Ariana is lying down on the bed next to her and eagerly opening the laptop.