chapter 10

Lauren takes her time on the way back to her dorm. Her heart is still beating like crazy from the events just a few minutes ago. And even though she knows she's supposed to be thinking about how they literally just put out a fire with their hands, the only thing on her mind right now is Camila.

Lauren can't stand how she can't see Camila's aura. This has never happened to her before. She's so used to be able to read people just by looking at them.

It doesn't help that Camila hates her for some unknown reason. Lauren can't remember ever doing anything to hurt the girl. She's only been nice to her since she got here.

It shouldn't bother her this much, she decides. So she does her best to ignore it, collapsing back on her bed once she gets back to her dorm.

But the nagging thoughts don't leave. And there's an apple sitting on Dinah's dresser. And so a few minutes later, Lauren's taking her first hit and blowing a puff of smoke out in front of her.

She's only on her second hit when Dinah comes trudging back into the room. She smells like smoke and there's streaks of soot on her face, but she's happy. Her aura is bright yellow.

"Did your group do it?" Lauren asks, setting the apple down. Dinah scoffs.

"Nope. Jhane had to do most of it for us," she shrugs and plops down on the bed next to Lauren, snatching the apple out of her hand and taking a hit.

"Then why are you so happy?" Lauren raises an eyebrow. "Wait..." she holds up a finger, studying Dinah closely. There's a hint of light pink around her.

"You like someone," Lauren smirks. Dinah's face freezes.

"Fuck you and your psycic bullshit," she laughs, shoving Lauren's shoulder and shaking her head. Lauren pumps her fist in victory.

"I was going to tell you eventually," Dinah persists. "In fact, I needed your help with something."

"My help?" Lauren raises her eyebrows. "With what?"

"I need you to bring your sister over here or something to hang out," Dinah explains, taking another hit from the apple. Lauren has to stop herself from bursting into laughter.

"I probably shouldn't say anything, but it's painful watching you two," Lauren shakes her head. "She asked me to bring her here for the same reason you want me to bring her here. She thinks you're cute."

Lauren fights back a smile when she sees Dinah's entire aura fade into a bright pink. Her face turns red as well, and she's never seen her roommate so bashful about something. "Really?"

"Really," Lauren nods softly. "We... we're on better terms that we were before."

Dinah sighs, lying back on the bed and gazing up at the ceiling with a dorky smile on her face. "God, I really like her, Laur," she mumbles. Lauren can't help but giggle at her friend's sudden change in moods.

Lauren's face falls slightly when she realizes why her sister had ended up there, though. But she doesn't have the heart to tell Dinah. Not yet, at least.

"I'll see if she'll come back and help me with homework or something," Lauren nods softly. She's startled when Dinah practically springs off of Lauren's bed and starts hurrying around the room, shoving her dirty clothes into the hamper and disposing of the apple. Lauren realizes this is the first time she's actually seen the floor on Dinah's side of the room.

"You really do like her," Lauren notes, laughing softly. Dinah just glares at her, but Lauren knows she doesn't mean it.