Chapter Twelve

Okay, just a small warning. I've gotten rid of my editor so it's just me again ;* I won't be looking for an editor anytime soon because I want to try going solo again. The point of me telling you this is that there's going to be more mistakes than usual, but just stick with me! I'll be proofreading and whatnot, but regarding punctuation and grammar I may be a little off. ANYWAYS I hope you all enjoy this chapter. Thank y'all for being so patient with me.

Chapter Twelve

I found my way outside where Todd was running around, perhaps looking for the mice nearby. When he saw me, his ears perked and he scurried in my direction. I opened my arms and in an instant, he jumped. Within the same moment, I could see a guard stepping off his horse, talking to a servant.

"There's our chance, little one," I whispered before placing Todd into my bag, gently slinging it over my shoulder.

I could run to the horse, hop on, and ride away. However, there was the matter of my suitcases, which would need to be tied up. I couldn't do so if it became apparent I was attempting to escape. Instead, I would pretend as if what I was doing was normal.

I walked up to the horse, head held high as I avoided eye contact. However, before I could make it to the animal, I was met by the guard who appeared as expressionless as the rest.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked, crossing his arms. He was trying to intimidate the truth out of me, but I wouldn't fall for it. I wasn't going to stay here any longer.

"I was told my ride would be ready by now," I started, yet he didn't move. "Well?" I snapped, and he narrowed his eyes.

"Who sent you out here?" he asked, not willing to buy my story. I wouldn't give up that easily.

"Sir Coventry." This caused emotion to flicker through his eyes, and it was enough for me to continue. "Shall I go fetch him and tell of your incompetence?" It was a bluff, and a thin one at that.

We stared at one another for a moment before he finally grunted, stepping to the side. A servant who had been watching offered to tie up my bags but I declined, quickly doing so myself. It wouldn't be much longer before Sage rounded up his men to begin hunting for me.

Once I finished, I jumped onto the horse, whispered sweet words to her, and galloped away. I knew I could find the town by following the dirt path that was too loose to hold anymore grass seeds. It had been used too many times as people went back and forth from the castle to the town.

The entire time, I found myself listening closely to the land around us for any sign that we were being followed. I was waiting to hear the snapping of twigs or the crunching of leaves under the hooves of a horse; however, I could not hear anything.

I became so focused on listening for any suspicious noises that I did not realize we were close to the town until the silence dissolved, leaving behind a residue of voices. I finally began paying attention to my surroundings and saw that the path was ending, presenting a small town to me.

The people were constantly moving, all going along their daily routines. The sight of them reminded me of a factory: constantly in motion, pushing along through day-to-day activities. They were so content with one another, something I didn't think I would ever understand.

I continued along, ignoring the multiple stares I received. They couldn't possibly know who I was and were likely attempting to intrude into my business. It was yet another reason I preferred animals to humans.

The sound of hooves calmed me, keeping me centered as we walked through the town. Sage had told me my father was living on the edge of town, as he had requested, and that he lived in a two-story house.

The town was filled with small one-story houses, all neatly kept. However, the farther I walked, the larger they became. It seemed as if they were attempting to hide the houses from view, to keep others from wanting to join their town.

It was only a few minutes before I finally found a small pot sitting outside one of the houses, a budding Aconitum standing tall. I smiled faintly, knowing it was my father's. I would tell him the flower was horrid, yet he claimed it reminded him of me and continued to nurse it.

I slid off the horse, murmuring sweet words to her before tying her up on a nearby fence. I made my way to the house, lightly knocking on the door. I waited a moment, hearing nothing, before jiggling the doorknob. I continued moving, turning the doorknob all the way and stepping into the house.

I had expected the lights to be off and the room to be covered with a thin layer of dust. The selfish part of me had hoped my father was not able to live without me; however, guilt crushed the thought. I was proud of him for doing so well on his own, servant or not.

The lights were on, and the house had been decorated with small things from our home. I could see the old dishes sitting in the sink, the tattered rug lying in the connecting living room, and several pictures of us as a family.

My father was nowhere to be seen, yet I could hear the soft melody of an orchestra playing upstairs. I followed the tune, allowing it to lead me to him.

I found him sitting on a bed, humming along to the music playing from on top of the nightstand. He looked distracted, but once his eyes found mine, they lit up, his smile momentarily reminding me of when all was fine.

"Rowan, sweetheart! I didn't think you would visit yet," he exclaimed, happiness dancing through his voice. I gave him a tight smile, walking over and embracing him. It felt nice, simple, like something I had taken for granted before and never truly realized the comfort of.

"We have to go, Papa. Now, before they come," I said softly in response, squeezing him lightly before pulling back and scanning the room for a suitcase. I opened my bag, letting Todd out to look around.

"Why, sweetheart? I love it so much here!" he exclaimed, and I hesitated in my search. "Everything is within the town and there's someone to help me out. I loved it in the forest, Rowan, but here it's not as lonely."

I closed my eyes, having already forgotten that the forest wasn't as comforting to him as it was to me. It hadn't truly been a home for him. It was something he had sacrificed so that I wouldn't become the center of trouble. Living out in the forest had provided me with a peaceful home without the drama the town gave us.

"I don't think I can do what they're asking, Papa," I said, glancing at him. I could see him study me, his smile fading and his expression growing more serious.

"Come here," he said shortly, sitting on the bed's edge and patting the spot beside him. I immediately went over, and he took my hand in his rough ones, his eyes on me.

"Rowan, darling, if you truly cannot help the King, we will leave right now. I won't question it further," he started. "However, the girl I raised was taught not to give up when there's a bump her path. She was given her mother's spirit and her father's determination, not that of a weak-willed person.

If you quit helping the King, Rowan, it should be because you do not see it going anywhere at all, not because you cannot find a way around this single obstacle."

"Papa," I started, my voice trailing off. I knew he was right, but I could not possibly help the King if he continued acting as if I was so below him.

He pressed a kiss to my hand, a fond smile on his face. "I have faith in you, darling. You are your mother's daughter after all," he said quietly, and I returned his smile before embracing him in a tight hug.

"Thank you, Papa. You've said what I needed to hear," I whispered in his ear before pulling back.

I could hear Todd growl as he dart under the bed, baring his teeth at nothing in particular. I stiffened knowing it was Sage and his men. If all went right, I would be able to leave here smoothly.

"Papa, I love you," I said, squeezing him lightly once more before heading downstairs with Todd right on my heels, his ears pressed against his skull.

I could hear a firm, loud knock on the door before a familiar voice said, "Mr. Cavanagh, we are here for your daughter. Let us in and there will be no altercations."

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes momentarily before opening the door and coming face-to-face with the man who was the reason for my stress.