09

"How many of you are ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw? Okay. Uh...I need in volunteer?" Steve was talking to a crowd of soldiers in Italy and it wasn't going very well. They didn't seem to want Steve here, to say the least.

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" one of the soldiers yells out. The rest of the crowd laughs while Steve stands there looking very uncomfortable. He looks at me and I mouth 'I'm sorry' to him and give him a smile.

I watch him take a deep breath as the same soldier yells out, "Bring back the girls!" 

Steve shakes his head before replying, "I think they only know the one song. But um...let me...I'll...I'll see what I can do."

"You do that, sweetheart." the first soldier sneers. 

"Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" a second soldier yells out. 

Steve stands there, very uncomfortable, and scratches the back of his neck while he says, "Come on, guys. We're all on the same team here."

A third soldier stands up and pulls down his pants while yelling, "Hey, Captain! Sign this!" 

I gasp and look away in embarrassment. These soldiers really need to just relax. Steve storms off the stage. I push past the showgirls as they run up onto the stage as the soldiers cheer.

"Steve, wait!" I yell after him. 

"What do you want Charlotte?" Steve sighs, obviously not in a good mood. 

"I just wanted to make sure you're alright." I say innocently, standing next to him. 

"Does it look like I'm alright?" he yells. I take a step back, not used to seeing Steve yell at me, or anyone for that matter. 

"Gosh, I'm sorry Charlotte. I just...I don't know. I didn't think they would be that rude." he sighs, sitting on the ground against the tires of one of the army trucks. I sigh and sit down across from him. 

"It's alright, Steve. You have the right to be upset. They were assholes." I tell him. This earns me a stern look from Steve. 

"What?" I laugh. 

"Watch your language." 

He's fighting back a smile so I know he doesn't really mean it. I smile widely at him before leaning towards him and hitting his arm. 

"You know it doesn't bother you, big bro." I laugh. Steve just rolls his eyes and smiles, looking at something behind me. I turn around to see what he's looking at but I jump up in excitement when I see Peggy walking towards us. 

"Peggy!" I call out and run to her. I pull her into a hug and give her a tight squeeze. 

"Thank god you're okay." I mumble.

"Why wouldn't I be?" she asks, confused. I pull away from her and tell her what happened to Annabelle. 

"Oh, that's terrible! I'm so sorry." she says, then pulls me into another hug. 

"I hate to break this up but what are you doing here Peggy?" Steve asks from behind me. He had gotten up of the ground and had silently been standing behind Peggy and I while we talked. 

"Officially I'm not here at all. That was quite a performance." Peggy smiles. 

"Yeah. Uh...I had to improvise a little bit. Crowds I'm used to are usually more uh..." Steve stammers.

"But I understand you American's new hope?" Peggy interrupts, saving Steve. 

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump in every state I visit." he shrugs, looking a little disappointed.