Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Sometimes the variations of a color evoke a certain emotion. Take the color red, for example. The lighter the shade, the softer it appears. It brings me a sense of calm, reminding me of candy hearts or rose petals just before they wilt. The darker shades, however, appear dangerous and immediately evoke within me a sense of fear.

And staring into Bogdan's blood-red eyes right now is no exception. Fear curls around my chest, squeezing it so tightly I can barely find the strength to breathe. He doesn't blink. I have seen vampires' eyes a handful of times before, but they're usually in movies or textbooks. Even the few I've seen in real life have been dulled – a muddy red.

But Bogdan's eyes are a rich velvet smeared with fresh blood. And I know the cause behind this terrifying shade of red; he's hungry. I swallow hard and roll down the passenger window. The muscles tic along the side of his jaw and his nostrils flare. Amongst the flooding fear coursing within me floats a piece of driftwood made entirely of rejection.

He hates my scent.

I know Bogdan has the ability to communicate; he's showed that in spades with his witty and demeaning emails. But I've never heard a vampire talk before. Will he sound like a normal human? Will he have an accent? Will he –

"What are you doing here, human?"

Oh, hell.

A dusting of lust coats the surface of my fear, diluting it enough for my stomach to quiver with desire. His voice is as deep and rich as the very color staining his irises. All I can manage to do is to point a trembling finger towards the house where Kelly is providing his consort services.

Bogdan doesn't follow my finger. He doesn't move at all.

"H-how did you find me?" I ask.

My vampire tilts his chin up, staring down at me with disgust. I want to counter his look with one of my own, but I just can't manage it. The man is, bar none, the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in my life. Vampires are meant to be beautiful. It's one of their many traits that can be used as a hunting mechanism for their prey. Humans.

"Some humans claim they never forget a face. Correct?"

I nod.

"I never forget a scent."

My mouth makes the shape of an 'O' in understanding, but the actual sound never leaves my lips. "So, you were close by?"

Bogdan's lips part, and I can see the tips of his canines elongating into fangs. When vampires get overly hungry, this is what happens. They can't control it. Even though I smell repulsive, I'm still food in his eyes. I might not be what he wants, but his body is salivating for a taste. I swallow back the temptation to ask him to feed from me.

"No," he corrects. "I smelled yours before you made it into the city limits."

I flush. He doesn't say it with disgust. It's merely factual. There aren't a lot of humans around here, so it makes sense that having one or two trickle in unexpected would cause a stir. Another few vampires open their doors and poke their heads outside. Their red eyes almost glow in the secretive shadows of the night.

Bogdan tilts his head to the side. His eyes dance around the new faces of his fellow kind and he hums low in his throat.

"You need to leave."

"I can't," I argue with a fleeting courage. Then I nod to the house next to us. "Not without my buddy, Kelly."

He raises a brow and glances to the side. When he does I notice most of the vampires watching us have started walking down the sparkly cement of their driveways. Each one is slowly making their way towards my car. Fear claws at what little self-control I've managed to maintain throughout this situation. Why again did I think this was a good idea?