Chapter Two - A Faded Memory

Fourteen Years Later

The young girl standing in the kitchen would earn a lot of looks if she were out in public.

She was wearing a torn button up shirt and a pair of old men's boxers, and her pale skin was adorned with multiple scars and bruises that stuck out like blood on fresh snow. Messy brown hair that seemed as though it had never been cut, was tied back in a loose ponytail.

The girl was silent as she prepared two separate plates that each held a sandwich and some potato chips. She then grabbed two beers from the fridge and turned, carrying the food into the next room.

She had been there so long, she could barely remember how she got there. She could barely even remember her own name. All she knew was how to please, how to prapare food and clean u pafter the two men she had lived with for as long as she could remember.

"About fucking time." The dark haired man in the armchair snarled as he snatched the beer from her hand, causing her to wince as she placed his plate down on the coffee table.

She handed the other beer to the blond man on the couch, he didn't even give her a passing glance as she set his plate down as well. Shaking slightly, she awaited any other commands, but, when none came, she turned, about to leave the room.

Suddenly, there was a large knock on the door, causing the girl to jump. Who on earth would be knocking, no one ever visited.

"Police! Open up!"

"Fuck," Tony snarled, jumping to his feet, the food and drink falling to the ground, but his pale green eyes barely acknowledged them. "Coraline, get in the kitchen and don't come-"

He couldn't even finish his words as the door slammed open, about five police officers filing in with guns drawn, aimed at Kyle and Tony. Coraline began trembling, backing up as far as she could to press herself against the wall.

"Down on your knees!" The officer at the front growled at the two men, who both looked furious but did as they were told, dropping down and placing their hands behind their heads.

Once they were down, the man who had shouted, an older, gray haired man, moved slowly and cautiously over to Coraline, holding his hands up in surrender to assure the frightened girl that he didn't pose a threat.

"Hello, Coraline, my name is Jim. You are Coraline Crane, correct?" He questioned softly.

Coraline swallowed nervously, nodding her head. Jim gave her a sympathetic smile, before taking off his coat and draping it around her trembling shoulders.

"Come on, sweetheart, we're going to take you somewhere safe. You're safe now." He repeated those words softly to her as he escorted her towards the door, past the two men who were being handcuffed while giving her vicious looks.

Jim helped her into the back of a police cruiser, and, much to her surprise, climbed into the back with her, letting another cop climb into the driver's seat.

"Do you know where you are, miss?" Jim questioned, to which Coraline's lip trembled as she shook her head once more. "You're in Star City. You went missing from Georgia fourteen years ago and were moved quite a bit away."

Coraline just stared at him, faint memories lingering on the edge of her mind. Georgia? Star City? Those places barely even sounded familiar.

"I'm the police commissioner from Gotham City," Jim continued, watching her process this information. "I was called in because my precinct has, uh... connections to your closest living relative. We believe... despite his current situation, he's the best person for you to be with after this ordeal."

Coraline nodded her head, feeling a small amount of hope rise up inside of her. Jonathan. She remembered that name. She faintly remembered his face. He tried to save her when...

It startled Jim when the fragile girl leaned forward and grabbed his hand, looking at him with pleading eyes. He could understand the unspoken question lingering in her gaze.

"Don't worry," Jim nodded, watching out the window as the two felons were loaded into the back of another car. "We're heading to Gotham now to get you back with someone familiar. You have nothing to be scared of."

Coraline nodded and leaned back, wrapping her arms around herself as the vehicle started moving.

Jim didn't move to the front seat of the car, he knew that the young girl would probably want someone she seemed to like near her. He was quiet though, leaving her to her thoughts.

The young girl watched out the window, not knowing what was ahead for her.