Beauty and the Beat (19)

Maxxon wasn't at school that day, which was very terrifying. Even Mrs. Carson didn't know where he was, and that wasn't good.

“I'm going to kill him,” I threatened, and Bennett rolled his eyes at me.

“You always say that,” he reminded me.

I shook my head. “No, I really mean it this time.”

And I did. Even Bennett didn't know why he wasn't as school, and they were best friends. I wouldn't have been freaking out so much if he hadn't hurt his ankle the day before. What if he died or something on his way home? Or got even more hurt?

If he wasn't dead, I was going to kill him. How could he do this to me? He knew how important this dance show was to me!

We were supposed to arrive at the school an hour before the dance show started. I got there an hour an a half before the show started, because I was ridiculously nervous. I completely ignored Anna and Ethan, who were there as well, as I practically shook.

“Stop freaking out,” Bennett sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder to try to calm me down. It didn’t help in the slightest. “Everything’s going to be fine. You and I both know Maxxon wouldn’t flake on you, especially without an excuse. He’ll be here.”

“How are you so sure?” I demanded, and continued to shake. “You don’t know what he’s capable of doing! Especially after he screwed up his ankle yesterday while skateboarding!”

Bennett blinked at me. “He… what?”

“Yeah, he screwed up his ankle,” I repeated, rubbing my arms up and down to get rid of my chills. “I told him not to mess around on his stupid skateboard yesterday, but he wouldn’t listen to me and rode on it anyway. Then he crashed into something and screwed up his ankle!”

Bennett’s face now went white. Now he knew how bad this was. He now knew that there was a huge chance Maxxon wasn’t going to show up, and I was going to be left out in the dust.

“Well… there’s still the May dance show,” Bennett reminded me now, as if this was somehow supposed to make me feel better. “You’ll get to dance then.”

“But that won’t make up for all the time I’ve wasted on this!”

“Jeez, you look like you have hypothermia,” a new voice now said, and jacket was suddenly being dropped over my shoulders. I turned around, hoping to see Maxxon, but I only made a face when I saw that it was Ethan instead. “What’s your problem?”

I shook my head, not in the mood to talk about it any longer. “I need to go change,” was all I said, taking Ethan’s jacket off and handing it to him before starting off toward the dressing rooms. “Thanks.”

I knew Ethan turned toward Bennett as I heard him ask, “What’s wrong with her?”

I wasn’t the one that had something wrong with them. That was Maxxon. Not only did he have something wrong with his ankle, but he apparently had something wrong with his head as well. How could he think that it would be okay to just not show up without telling anyone why? Especially when my whole performance was up to him!

He was going to get an earful. He was going to be deaf by the time I was done with him. And he was going to deserve it!

I was in costume. The show was supposed to start in five minutes. I was in costume, and Maxxon wasn't here. I was ready, and Maxxon wasn’t here.

I really was going to kill him.

“Sadie, don’t worry,” Mrs. Carson smiled at me, though I could tell that she was freaking out underneath her smile. “I’m sure Maxxon will get here any minute now. If we have to delay the show a little bit, then we’ll delay the show a little bit. No worries.”