84 Friday, July 23rd 1993

A storm raged. Lightning and thunder boomed above the city. Actually, nice weather had been announced for this weekend, but apparently the gods had a change of heart and decided to let the camping enthusiasts stay at home.

On the other hand a good camper was always prepared for any weather.

Yoshiro rustled through the thickets of the forest. His tattered clothes fluttered in the wind. A sword, whose scabbard he had strapped to his back, swung back and forth with every step.

For days he hadn't rested. He just couldn't. He didn't want to. When he stopped, the painful memories came up. Even this small moment in which he remembered, was enough to bring up the pain again. She was dead. Kira was dead. His great love had been taken away from him. By Tirr, this wretched monster. He would never call another Oni a monster, but this abominable creature deserved it.

He stumbled out of carelessness and fell to the ground. He rolled over and stopped struggling for breath in a shallow puddle. His heart ached so much. Silent tears sparkled in his eyes. Slowly he came up to his knees. How could he endure this? He looked at his hands. They were flayed. His whole body was marked, littered with cracks, scratches and bite marks. For days he had hunted continuously.

He had warned her. He had begged Kira not to go. His weakness had her killed. His beautiful wife. His heart. She had meant everything to him in this world.

"Be reasonable!", he pleaded.

The female Oni snorted. "You don't get it. You are not like us. You're no warrior, Yoshiro."

Kira was truly beautiful. In her own special way. Her skin gleamed in the various shades of the rainbow. Depending on her emotional state she changed her color.

Her features were fully human for the most part. She simply had bigger eyes and pointed ears. Her ponytailed hair fell to her hips and had the same property as her skin.

At the moment she shone in a menacing red. She was furious. She was mad at him because he just didn't understand. Because he was not able to understand. Then he was not a warrior, but a scholar. One of the few exceptions of their kind. And that was why she loved him more than anything.

"If we don't stop Tirr now, we will never make it. With every week, every day, with every life he takes, he becomes stronger. Don't you get it?" She put her fists on her hips.

With his hands he gesticulated wildly. "Of course I do. Really. But why do you have to do that? Why can't the others go without you?"

She closed her eyes. "I am the strongest healer. We know that this fight will be the greatest challenge we've faced so far. There will be injured. Almost certainly people are going to die. I have to be there to help them."

Yoshiro faltered. "And what if he kills you?"

Encouragingly, she smiled at her lover. "I will be careful. I'm not going to fight on the front line. I support them."

"Don't go." The yellow-skinned folded his hands in front of his chest. "Please, Kira. I'm begging you."

She bit her lower lip. She hated it when they quarreled. Her skin darkened. "I have to. They rely on me. They put their lives at risk to protect the humans from Tirr. If we don't get him under control, they will exterminate us. The hunters won't watch forever as he slaughters their kind."