Chapter 16

Aunt Kelly races to the stairs as another rush of thick smoke billows down, stopping her from going further.

"John!" her voice cracks as she screams, "Can you hear me?"

Silence.

I run to her side but her hand goes up to stop me.

"I have to see if he's okay! Wait here." The determination in her eyes is almost palpable.

"No!" I pull her arm back. "You won't make it past the first few steps!" I shout as distant sirens echo outside.

"I-I have to try, Katie!" She coughs, then yanks her arm from my grip but I manage to grab her other arm as she turns.

"No!" I cough. "You can't, it's too..." I'm suddenly interrupted when three firefighters burst through the front door.

Thank God.

"You need to evacuate immediately!" one of them shouts as flashing red and white lights circle outside, reflecting off the heavy smoke now filling up the living room.

Aunt Kelly drops to her knees, "My husband! He's upstairs but he's not answering me!" she yells, covering her face. One of the firefighters scoops her up, "We'll find him but you have to get out, now!" he turns, holding her like she weighs nothing as he sprints toward the door. The other wraps me up in his arms, practically flying me outside then sets me down next to Aunt Kelly. When I look up his eyes are familiar.

Wait...

Holy.

Shit.

The same auburn-yellow stare and I'm sure he wanted me to see him. I keep staring as he rushes away, disappearing in the house.

I start to tremble--not sure if I'm in shock from the fire trapping Uncle John or the fact that I was just recused by him.

The Watchman.

Minutes go by and I'm holding Aunt Kelly as she sobs next to me sitting on the curb. Looking up at the house I notice the roof is almost completely gone and I start to wonder if Uncle John is already dead. I don't like him but I don't want him to die. It would destroy Aunt Kelly to go through another death. Even if she can't stand him either.

Everywhere I look it's complete chaos. Neighbors are gathered in their front yards, trying to get a better view of what's going on. At least ten firefighters are running around, darting in and out of the house while others aim huge water hoses at the roof. Finally, one of the firefighters shoots out of the front door, carrying Uncle John. He's lifeless and as soon as Aunt Kelly realizes it's him, she takes off.

"Oh, my God, John!" she screams as another firefighter holds her back. I rush to her side and we watch in disbelief while two of them perform CPR.

"I'm not getting a pulse!" one of them shouts and instantly, the paddles used to shock someone's heart are slammed to his chest. "Clear!" the other says as Uncle John's body tenses up and goes lifeless again. "Nothing! One more time!" the one holding the paddles calls out. "1,...2,...3, Clear!" but this time, one of them looks up and says, "We have a pulse! Get him in the ambulance now!"

"I'm going with you!" Aunt Kelly insists, looking back at me as if she's sorry for leaving.

"Go! I'm okay!" I say back, giving her a quick hug. She pulls away and gives me a half smile before climbing into the ambulance. I watch her take Uncle John's hand as she leans down to kiss his forehead. He doesn't move and I'm still wondering if all of this just happened when I get a tap on my shoulder.

"Let's get you checked out." the firefighter guides me to the remaining ambulance as two men suddenly hoist me up.

"I'm fine, really."

"We're just going to check your breathing. Just relax."