03|DAYS GONE BY

To say Alchemy Jones was telling the truth wasn't at all the slightest bit true. In the long run, she was highly important and smarter than most people in her unit. Not that any of that mattered, what really mattered was that she had lied to everyone important to her. This lie wasn't just to her family members but to Bucky and Steve, who would never forgive her if they found out.

Months prior to her visit at Coney Island with her friends, Ally had an opportunity and she took it. Someone very close to her had seen Ally's incredible ability to understand the violent nature of battleground wounds, and demand for men to heal quickly and return to war. Ally had already been studying medicine, the human anatomy and the terminology she would need, so why not take a step further? A war didn't excite her, less than a year ago she feared her brother Kep would join, and now she was scared of our her wits that Steve and Bucky would as well. Yet she was given an opportunity that would change her life forever.

Dr. Abraham Erskine, a German scientist had started work on creating a serum that would enhance human strength and abilities to superhuman levels. Of course that would spark Ally's interest, and she was undoubtedly the right one to help Dr. Erskine along for the ride. Although Ally knew little information about where he came from or who he was, she had joined his research team as his assistance doctor. Nothing was completely figured out, all she knew was that she was working for the Strategic Scientific Reserve and she needed to be able to use a weapon.

In the time span of her unexpected announcement dinner to her target practice outside of Brooklyn, the Jones family had moved from living near the inner slums to a private property located about fifteen minutes outside of Brooklyn, twenty minutes if you walked. Despite living further away from her friends, it gave Ally more of a silent excitement. She loved being away from the city and whenever Steve and Bucky came over (which was almost every day), they always had great fun.

Now, she reached behind her and pulled out a gun, hiding within the waistband of her uniform. A German-built Walther PPK, a weapon that your average 1940's woman wouldn't dare to touch. She made sure it was loaded before slipping it back into the waistband of her trousers, right under her shirt. She was positioned a few miles outside of Brooklyn, practicing targets with a few of her other unit members.

"Doctor Jones," someone yelled, grabbing her attention. "Front and centre!"

She tucked her beige shirt in and took a few long strides towards the colonel of her unit. "Yes sir?"

He handed her a file that read 'confidential' in bold red letters. "This will be your first mission, will you be ready by next Friday?"

Ally bit her lip, not wanting to disappoint the captain. Uneasily, she nodded her head. "Yes sir."

"You'll be shipped out with your unit near enemy territory. Agent Twenty-two will be accompanying you and your unit. If anything should happen to Dr. Erskine while this unit is away, you have risked losing this war. Everything in this file and everything I have told you is strictly confidential. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Agent Twenty-two is here to pick you up, take care of yourself until then."

She nodded her head. "Thank you sir."

The little Citroen Traction car came into clearing as Agent 22 drove down the dirt road and towards Ally. Ally shoved her hands into her pockets and ducked her head, almost embarrassed to be picked up by Agent 22. The car door swung open and Jovian Jones grinned. "How was target practice little sis?"