Chapter 15

The thing about a hero, is even when it doesn't look like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, he's going to keep digging, he's going to keep trying to do right and make up for what's gone before, just because that's who he is.~Joss Whedon

Dedicated to a great reader, TheRedBedroom. You left an amazing comment on one of my stories today, which I really needed to hear at the time. It was just the most amazing thing I've ever read, and I am so thankful you enjoyed it. I love you! <3

Dylan

I walked into the kitchen, and a surprise greeted me on the couch.

Siena's out cold, snoring softly as she turned around and burrowed her face into the pillow.

I smiled. She always used to pass out cold after a long day. I wanted to know what had happened to her. Why she was out in the city at 3, and why I didn't hear her leave.

She's obviously exhausted, and she can afford to miss another day of school, or she can come in late. But first, she needs to get off the couch.

I gently wound one arm under her head and another under her legs. Grunting slightly at the effort of picking her up, I pulled her close to my body, her warm body instinctively snuggling closer to mine.

I carefully carried her to her bed and set her down on it gently, pulling the covers over her (which wasn't difficult, considering she hardly ever made her bed) and tucking her in.

I sat down next to her and gently brushed away the hair falling over her face. She's so different when she's asleep. Much more peaceful and content.

I looked at her face, her beautiful face-wait, no, no, NO. I am not pulling myself back in. I'm into Emma right now. I tried to convince myself. I can't risk her friendship for anything. It's not right.

As I stared at her, I'm reminded of the time when I realized I was truly in love with her.

It was the day after her thirteenth birthday. Her birthday was a month after mine, on August 23rd.

I was at her birthday party when I saw everyone there, Alex, Jake, her other friends. We were getting ready to cut the cake, and I could barely tear my eyes off her. Her mother had made her wear a dress and curl her hair. Siena wasn't a complete tomboy, but she wasn't the one most eager to wear fancy attire either. She was dressed in a deep pink dress that fell to her knees, and her hair was curled and pinned up. She was ethereal. I had never seen her look like that, she looked stunning.

I was staring at her, then snapped back to reality once I realized it was time to cut the cake. Once we finished singing the song, I leaned over and swiped a piece of frosting off the cake, smearing it over her face. The look she gave me was enough to let me know it was war.

She did the same to me, and soon all four of us were covered in cake frosting. I laughed and leaned over to grab a towel, and when I looked back, I saw something that made my stomach fall.

It was her and Alex, and he was flirting with her. I'm Alex's best friend. I can tell when he's flirting with a girl. And I'm Siena's best friend. I can tell when she's into a guy. '

I felt a sharp pain in my hands, and I looked down to see that my nails are digging into my palm, the little crescent shapes forming on the skin. I quickly pulled them out and saw the indentions are red.

I knew, right then and there, that those two being together bothered me more than anything else. More than Siena finding out I had powers and looking at me like a freak. No, what scared me the most was losing her to some other guy. Even if that other was someone I'd take a bullet for.