Consider the Consequences

"Absolutely not," Bucky exclaimed, eliciting a sigh of defeat from the two girls standing in front of him.

Wanda and Marlena had just finished explaining to him what it was that Tony needed them to do, and Bucky was not a fan of it at all. The two girls were far too important to him, and he didn't want to see them experiencing the same pain he had to just to win a court trial for him as he knew they would have to do if they were to go inside his head. His head was a dark and painful place, and though he had no problem with them reading it from time to time, he had an enormous issue with the two of them delving deep for something he was sure would have some sort of lasting effect on them.

"Why, Bucky?" Wanda questioned him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"We're just trying to help you," Marlena added, a frown on her face. "We care about you, y'know?"

Bucky let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair. "I understand that, and I care about you both just as much, which is why I can't let you venture inside my head. I don't want you two to have to experience what I did for the sake of this trial."

"But if they know what you went through there's a better chance they'll let you go," Marlena tried to reason with him, though it didn't seem to be working.

She and Wanda knew trying to convince Bucky to let them in his head was going to be hard, and they had a plan if they failed. They just hoped they wouldn't have to count on that plan to get the job done for them.

"I don't care, Marlena," Bucky retorted. "If the lawyer Stark hired is as good as he claims he is, then he should be able to get the job done without your assistance."

"He's being stubborn, Wan."

Wanda glanced at her and let out a low scoff. "Stubborn is quite the understatement, my dear cousin."

"I really don't want to have to do this to him."

"What are you two talking about with each other?" Bucky questioned with narrowed eyes.

Marlena turned back to look at Bucky just as Wanda's voice flooded into her mind. "We might not have a choice, Mar. I don't think we're getting anywhere with him; we've been trying to talk him into it for almost ten minutes."

"Nothing at all," Marlena answered Bucky with a sigh. "Just please let us do this, Bucky."

Bucky shook his head and stood up. "No. It's not happening."

Wanda gave a nod, knowing she and Marlena had no other option but to put their plan into action. "Okay, okay; we are sorry for bothering you, Bucky. We'll just tell Stark he's gonna have to find some other way to help convince them."

"Thank you," Bucky said as he pushed passed the girls. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go rummage through Clint's fridge."

Marlena bit her lip as she watched him head towards the door, and she glanced over at Wanda, who only gave her a nod of encouragement.

"I'm gonna regret this," Marlena muttered to herself as she threw her hands up, allowing the blue of her energy to engulf her petite hands.

In front of her, Bucky stopped walking. His eyes widened slightly as he noticed his body becoming trapped within the familiar sapphire hue. "Marlena Claire, I swear if you don't let me go right now, you'll live to regret it."

"I already do," Marlena said as she approached him, her glowing hands still bared in front of her. With a swift movement of her hands she was turning Bucky around to face her. The expression on his face made her want to release him, but she knew she couldn't. She had to help him; she couldn't let them take him away from her again.